Guilds of Ravnica
|Guilds of Ravnica|
|Symbol description||A cityscape or crown with five elements.|
Mark Rosewater (lead)|
Erik Lauer (lead)|
|Art direction||Cynthia Sheppard|
|Release date||October 5, 2018|
or ability words
|Convoke, Mentor, Surveil, Jump-start, Undergrowth|
|Set size||259 + 5 + 8 + 1|
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
Guilds of Ravnica is the 79th Magic expansion. It was released on October 5, 2018. Officially, it is not part of a block. However, it is part of a series of three that is set on the same world, unofficially called the Guilds of Ravnica block.
- 1 Set details
- 2 Themes and mechanics
- 3 Cycles
- 4 Mirrored pair
- 5 Reprinted cards
- 6 Card comparisons
- 7 Preconstructed decks
- 8 Notable cards
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Set details[edit | edit source]
Guilds of Ravnica contains 259 cards (111 commons, 80 uncommons, 53 rares, and 15 mythic rares), but there are only 254 functionally different cards since all gates have 2 common slots. Boosters may include randomly inserted premium versions of any card. The name of the set is rather similar to the Ravnica: City of Guilds, but Wizards of the Coast doesn't perceive this as a problem. The set features five of the bi-colored Ravnican guilds: Selesnya (), Boros (), Golgari (), Izzet (), and Dimir (). Watermarks are used to better identify the guilds. To get a guild watermark, the card has to be two-color, optimized with two colors or use the guild keyword.
The 5 basic lands of this set are not included within the 259 cards, meaning that they won't appear in booster packs but only in the planeswalker decks and the Bundle. They're all autumnal versions of the Richard Wright basics from Ravnica: City of Guilds and are numbered from #260/259 to #264/259. Neither contained in boosters are the 8 additional planeswalker deck exclusive cards - numbered #265/259 to #272/259 - and the Buy-a-Box promo, which has the number #273/259. Each Guildgate is featured in two common slots, each with different art, much like Wastes in Oath of the Gatewatch.
Storyline[edit | edit source]
|“||Stand With Your Guild||”|
It is autumn on Ravnica. The story occurs mostly in darkness with shadows and moodiness, similar to a film noir. The story gears up for the final showdown with Nicol Bolas. He is trying to slowly influence Ravnica and warp it to his needs. The guilds fight internally between the forces pulling them toward or away from Bolas's influence.
The cards that represent the Story Spotlights in Guilds of Ravnica are: Thousand-Year Storm (), Guild Summit (), Assassin's Trophy (), and Firemind's Research (). The story spotlight cards no longer tell you the order they occur in.
Magic Story[edit | edit source]
|Under the Cover of Fog||Nicky Drayden||2018-10-10||Ravnica||House Dimir|
|Testing the Dark Waters||Nicky Drayden||2018-10-17||Ravnica||Izzet League|
|Clans & Legions||Nicky Drayden||2018-10-24||Ravnica||Boros Legion|
|Death's Precious Moments||Nicky Drayden||2018-11-07||Ravnica||Golgari Swarm|
|Bound and Bonded||Nicky Drayden||2018-11-14||Ravnica||Selesnya Conclave|
Marketing[edit | edit source]
Guilds of Ravnica is sold in 16-card boosters (one card being a marketing card), two planeswalker decks and the Guilds of Ravnica bundle. Building on how Theme Boosters for Dominaria performed, these 35-card booster packs with one rare or mythic rare card make another appearance. Of course, they are themed around the appropriate guilds and thus bi-colored. The set is also accompanied by five special guild kits, preconstructed theme decks that combine cards from every Ravnica set released so far.
Events[edit | edit source]
- Update Magic Arena: 27 September 2018 (free OpenBeta)
- Prerelease took place on 29–30 September 2018. Prerelease packs contained 5 regular Guilds of Ravnica booster packs and one seeded booster composed entirely of cards relevant to that player’s choice of guild. It also contains 1 randomized, date stamped foil promo card, drawn from any rare or mythic from the featured guild. All prerelease packs included an entry code to an MTG Arena Sealed event.
- Local stores hosted Ravnica Weekend on November 9–11. Players could come in and play four-pack Drafts, casual Guild Kit battles, and a special preview adventure from the D&D Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica.
Promotional cards[edit | edit source]
- Magic Open House: full-art Boros Challenger
- Prerelease: a stamped card that can be any rare or mythic rare belonging to the chosen guild.
- Draft Weekend Launch promo: Firemind's Research
- Store Championship: full-art Emmara, Soul of the Accord
- Magic League: Necrotic Wound
- Buy-a-Box: Impervious Greatwurm
- FNM promos: Conclave Tribunal, Sinister Sabotage, and Thought Erasure
- Ravnica Weekend: one of ten special guild-affiliated premium foil promo basic lands. These are numbered A01/10 to A10/10.
- Non-foil versions of these basic lands appear in the Guild Kits, where they are numbered as part of the deck.
Tokens and emblems[edit | edit source]
- 4/4 Angel creature with flying and vigilance, for Divine Visitation.
- 1/1 Soldier creature with lifelink, for Dawn of Hope, Emmara, Soul of the Accord, Haazda Marshal, Hunted Witness, March of the Multitudes, Ledev Champion, Sworn Companions and Trostani Discordant.
- 1/1 Bird Illusion creature with flying, for Murmuring Mystic.
- 1/1 Goblin creature, for Legion Warboss.
- 1/1 Insect creature, for Izoni, Thousand-Eyed.
- 2/2 Elf Knight creature with vigilance, for Assemble, Conclave Guildmage, Conclave Cavalier, and Sprouting Renewal.
- Emblem for Ral, Izzet Viceroy
- Emblem for Vraska, Golgari Queen
Mythic Edition[edit | edit source]
Themes and mechanics[edit | edit source]
|Guild||Colors||Crest||Keyword or ability word||Description|
|House Dimir||Surveil||Look at the top N cards of your library, then put any number of them into your graveyard and the rest on top of your library in any order.|
|Selesnya Conclave||Convoke||Your creatures can help cast this spell. Each creature you tap while casting this spell pays for or one mana of that creature's color.|
Returning mechanic, first used as the Selesnya mechanic in Ravnica. A new twist is that some cards care about the number of creatures that convoked it.
|Izzet League||Jump-start||You may cast this card from your graveyard by discarding a card in addition to paying its other costs. Then exile this card.|
|Golgari Swarm||Undergrowth||Perform a certain action with value X ..., where X is the number of creatures in your graveyard.|
|Boros Legion||Mentor||Whenever this creature attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on target attacking creature with less power.|
The expansion also features split cards. Each one focuses on a single guild, with a smallish hybrid mana effect as one half and a bigger, multicolor mana effect as the other. The art of the rares focuses on the two major characters (legendary creatures or planeswalkers) in that guild, one personality per side. The card halves have alliterative names, starting with the same three letters.
Cycles[edit | edit source]
Guilds of Ravnica has twelve cycles, two of which are reprints and one of which is printed twice within the set.
|Cycle name||Description and notes|
|Color Identifier||Five monocolored rare cards which care about other cards of the same color.||Light of the Legion||Drowned Secrets||Mausoleum Secrets||Runaway Steam-Kin||Hatchery Spider|
|Cycle name||Description and notes||Dimir
|Guild leaders||Five mythic rare legendary multicolored creatures or planeswalkers, each of whom are aligned with a guild and is their leader. Guilds aligned with Nicol Bolas have planeswalkers as their leaders; guilds aligned against, creatures.||Lazav, the Multifarious||Trostani Discordant||Ral, Izzet Viceroy||Vraska, Golgari Queen||Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice|
|Guild champions||Five rare legendary multicolored creatures, each of whom are aligned with a guild and act as that guild's second-in-command.||Etrata, the Silencer||Emmara, Soul of the Accord||Niv-Mizzet, Parun||Izoni, Thousand-Eyed||Tajic, Legion's Edge|
|Mechanic spells||Five multicolor common spells that showcase the guild mechanic.||Notion Rain||Rosemane Centaur||Sonic Assault||Rhizome Lurcher||Hammer Dropper|
|Guildmages||Five uncommon multicolored creatures, each of whom are aligned with a guild, are 2/2 for MN, and have two activated abilities, each ability costing at least one mana of that guild's colors and tapping to activate. They are named after the full title of their respective guilds.||House Guildmage||Conclave Guildmage||League Guildmage||Swarm Guildmage||Legion Guildmage|
|MMNN creatures||Five powerful uncommon multicolored creatures, each of which cost four mana, two of each of their respective guild's colors.||Nightveil Predator||Conclave Cavalier||Crackling Drake||Golgari Findbroker||Truefire Captain|
|Hybrid creatures||Five common creatures which have only hybrid mana and generic mana in their casting cost.||Whisper Agent||Vernadi Shieldmate||Piston-Fist Cyclops||Pitiless Gorgon||Fresh-Faced Recruit|
|Uncommon split cards||Five uncommon split cards, one side of which uses hybrid mana in guild colors and the other side is multicolor.||Discovery // Dispersal||Flower // Flourish||Invert // Invent||Status // Statue||Integrity // Intervention|
|Rare split cards||Five rare split cards, following the same formula as above. The hybrid side depicts the guild champion, and the multicolored side depicts its leader.||Connive // Concoct||Assure // Assemble||Expansion // Explosion||Find // Finality||Response // Resurgence|
|Lockets||Five common mana stones for . Each of which tap for either color mana of its corresponding guild, and can be sacrificed by tapping and paying four hybrid mana to draw two cards.||Dimir Locket||Selesnya Locket||Izzet Locket||Golgari Locket||Boros Locket|
|Guildgates||Five common dual lands in guild colors, originally printed in the Return to Ravnica block. Each has the Gate subtype and enters the battlefield tapped. Uniquely, each is printed twice in the set, with two different sets of art and flavor text. The first shows the guild's "main gate" and has flavor referring to its leader, whereas the second shows a "back door" and has flavor referencing to its lieutenant.
||Dimir Guildgate||Selesnya Guildgate||Izzet Guildgate||Golgari Guildgate||Boros Guildgate|
|Shock lands||Five rare dual lands in guild colors, originally printed in the Ravnica: City of Guilds block. Each has the respective basic land types, and enters the battlefield tapped unless its controller has the land deal 2 damage to them.||Watery Grave||Temple Garden||Steam Vents||Overgrown Tomb||Sacred Foundry|
Mirrored pair[edit | edit source]
Guilds of Ravnica has a mirrored pair.
- Maximize: Two common jump-start sorceries for one mana, which give one creature +1/+1 and a keyword associated with that color — Maximize Velocity () and Maximize Altitude ().
Reprinted cards[edit | edit source]
- Child of Night, first printed in Magic 2010, last seen in Core Set 2019.
- Chromatic Lantern, first printed in Return to Ravnica, last seen in Commander 2016.
- Crushing Canopy, first printed in Ixalan.
- Dead Weight, first printed in Innistrad, last seen in Shadows over Innistrad.
- Disdainful Stroke, first printed in Khans of Tarkir, last seen in Commander Anthology Volume II.
- Goblin Electromancer, first printed in Return to Ravnica, last seen in Duel Decks: Mind vs. Might.
- Hitchclaw Recluse, first printed in Magic Origins.
- Ironshell Beetle, first printed in Judgment.
- Luminous Bonds, first printed in Rivals of Ixalan, last seen in Core Set 2019.
- Maniacal Rage, first printed in Exodus, last seen in Conflux.
- Might of the Masses, first printed in Rise of the Eldrazi, last seen in Magic Origins.
- Narcomoeba, first printed in Future Sight, last seen in Modern Masters.
- Prey Upon, first printed in Innistrad, last seen in Aether Revolt.
- Righteous Blow, first printed in Avacyn Restored.
- Skyknight Legionnaire, first printed in Ravnica: City of Guilds, last seen in Modern Masters 2017.
- Siege Wurm, first printed in Ravnica: City of Guilds, last seen in Magic 2015.
- Sure Strike, first printed in Battle for Zendikar, last seen in Core Set 2019.
- Wall of Mist, first printed in Core Set 2019.
- Wee Dragonauts, first printed in Guildpact, last seen in Eternal Masters.
- Guildgates, first appearing in the Return to Ravnica block.
- Shocklands, first appearing in the original Ravnica block.
Functional reprints[edit | edit source]
- Bartizan Bats is a functional reprint of Carrion Screecher from Hour of Devastation and Vampire Revenant from Rivals of Ixalan, except for creature types.
- Fearless Halberdier is a functional reprint of Goblin Cavaliers from Starter 1999 and Goblin Roughrider from Worldwake, except for creature types.
- Gateway Plaza is a functional reprint of Rupture Spire from Conflux and Transguild Promenade from Return to Ravnica, except for subtype.
- Hired Poisoner is a functional reprint of Typhoid Rats from Innistrad and Pharika's Chosen from Journey into Nyx, except for creature types.
- Ornery Goblin is a functional reprint of Ashmouth Hound from Innistrad, except for creature types.
- Sworn Companions is a functional reprint of Queen's Commission from Ixalan, except for creature types of the tokens they produce.
- Wary Okapi is a functional reprint of Woodland Patrol from Eldritch Moon, except for creature types.
- Wild Ceratok is a functional reprint of Broodhunter Wurm from Battle for Zendikar, Golden Bear from Portal Second Age, Nettle Swine from Avacyn Restored, and Order of the Sacred Bell from Champions of Kamigawa except for creature types.
Card comparisons[edit | edit source]
Preconstructed decks[edit | edit source]
Guilds of Ravnica features two planeswalker decks:
|Ral||U||R||Ral, Caller of Storms|
|Vraska||B||G||Vraska, Regal Gorgon|
Guilds of Ravnica features five Guild Kits:
|Guild Kit name||Colors included|
Notable cards[edit | edit source]
- Impervious Greatwurm is the biggest black bordered non-token creature in Magic history.
- March of the Multitudes is a Selesnya cost spell completing an unintentional mega-mega cycle: the x spell cycle. Every other guild already has at least one from the previous Ravnica sets
- Invert // Invent required day-one errata: as printed, Invert's effect lasts indefinitely, where it should last until end of turn.
- Thousand-Year Storm essentially gives Storm to other cards.
- Etrata, the Silencer and Vraska, Golgari Queen are alternate-win cards.
- Chance for Glory is an alternate-loss card.
References[edit | edit source]
- Product information
- Wizards of the Coast (May 18, 2018). "2018 Spring Announcement Day". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (May 18, 2018). "Are blocks back soon or do you just not have a word yet?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (May 18, 2018). "Guilds of Ravnica is a hilariously uninspired name.". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (May 18, 2018). "Do you think there will be any confusion?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (May 19, 2018). "Will there be Guild watermarks in upcoming Ravnica sets?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (August 27, 2018). "So is Colossal Dreadmaw going to get a Gruul guild logo in Ravinca?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (September 17, 2018). "Guild to Order, Part 2". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (September 20, 2018). "Guilds of Ravnica Release Notes". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Andrew Brown (September 11, 2018). "Opening the Guildgates". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Chris Gleeson (September 26, 2018). "Ravnica Guildgate Art Descriptions". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (September 10, 2018). "Guild to Order, Part 1". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (September 03, 2018). "Is it the new norm that story spotlight cards no longer indicate their order among themselves within a set?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Wizards Play Network
- Barry White (August 15, 2018). "Guild of Ravnica Theme Boosters, Guild Packs Detailed by WotC". GeekNifty.com
- Mark Rosewater (January 06, 2019). "Who is the jester on the cover of the Rakdos Banner for the LGS's?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Blake Rasmussen (September 4, 2018). "Guilds of Ravnica Packaging, Promos, and More". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- David McCoy (September 19, 2018), "The MTG Arena Open Beta Will Start on 9/27". Hipsters of the Coast
- Gavin Verhey (September 24, 2018). "Guilds of Ravnica Prerelease Primer". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Buy-A-Box Promo leaked on German WoTC Dominaria Product Page
- Blake Rasmussen (September 14, 2018). "The Tokens of Guilds of Ravnica". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Tabak (September 4, 2018). "Guilds of Ravnica Mechanics". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer on Twitter
- Corbin Hosler (September 10, 2018). "Guilds of Ravnica Split Cards". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic on Twitch, 2018-09-13
- Aaron Forsythe on Twitter
- Mark Rosewater (September 12, 2018). "How does a mistake like Invert (from Invert//Invent) even happen in the modern age of Magic?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (September 24, 2018). "Stories from the City". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
[edit | edit source]
- Guilds of Ravica trailer
- Mark Rosewater (October 29, 2018). "Odds & Ends: Guilds of Ravnica". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (November 5, 2018). "More Odds & Ends: Guilds of Ravnica". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.