|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
83.3% 6.3% 6.3% 2.1% 2.1%
Griffin is a mainly white creature type used for cards that depict a fabled race of semi-intelligent beasts that resemble a cross between a bird of prey (typically an eagle) and a large cat (typically a lion).
Description[edit | edit source]
Head and wings of griffins are birdlike, the body and hindparts are lionesque.
Storyline[edit | edit source]
Alara[edit | edit source]
Dominaria[edit | edit source]
Innistrad[edit | edit source]
Ixalan[edit | edit source]
The griffins of Ixalan live in the jungle and have the hind legs of jaguars and the heads and plumage of jungle parrots. They are intelligent and noble, and they share the River Heralds’ desire to ensure that the power of the Immortal Sun is never again unleashed on the world.
Ravnica[edit | edit source]
Ravnican griffins were originally piscivores, who later adapted to hunting in the streets after Ravnicas oceans dried up. Several wild griffins now stalk the city and prey on those not able to defend themselves. The Boros use them as mounts and the Azorius are known to feed lawbreakers to them. These griffins develop a resistance to magic.
Shandalar[edit | edit source]
Theros[edit | edit source]
Theran Griffins are reclusive creatures that live along the borders of Phoberos. They hunt for food in the chaparral, and their keen eyes sense the slightest movement in the scrubland. Wild griffins are ferocious and hunt small humans, killing them with a single blow and carrying them off into their treetop aeries to devour them. Several Meletis hoplites have managed to tame griffins as mounts over the years. According to The Cosmogony, the griffins of Theros were originally created by its gods to catch falling stars, a task for which they were given keen eyes and swift wings. Some griffins are able to venture into the Aether and return with secrets. Skeletal griffins also serve Athreos to catch the souls of the unwilling dead.
Zendikar[edit | edit source]
Zendikar's griffins are distantly related to its felidar population. Larger griffin species are about the size of horses and can be ridden. Indeed, such griffins are often the only reliable means of reaching certain remote locations, particularly in Akoum. Smaller griffins range from the size of donkeys to large dogs, and are trained to carry messages or supplies without a rider.Young griffins are known to be incredible curious.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Retaliator Griffin, Azorius First-Wing, Resplendent Griffin, and Sentry of the Underworld are the only multicolored Griffins.
- Balshan Griffin and Misthollow Griffin are mono blue Griffins.
- Boreal Griffin is a snow creature.
- Griffin Canyon is a land that untaps Griffins.
- Skyspear Cavalry is a Griffin rider
- Wretched Gryff is an Eldrazi Hippogriff.
Tokens[edit | edit source]
|Griffin||White||Creature — Griffin||2/2||Flying|
References[edit | edit source]
- Doug Beyer (January 05, 2018). "I’m Glad You Finally Found a Home, Paroot Griffin Concept!". A Voice for Vorthos. Tumblr.
- James Wyatt (January 9, 2018). "Plane Shift: Ixalan". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- The Magic Creative Team (September 04, 2013). "Planeswalker's Guide to Theros, Part 3". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Flavor text of Transcendent Envoy
- Flavor text of Griffin Dreamfinder
- Flavor text of Sentry of the Underworld
- Wizards of the Coast (April 27, 2016). "Plane Shift: Zendikar". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.