Global Series: Jiang Yanggu & Mu Yanling
|Global Series: Jiang Yanggu & Mu Yanling|
|Symbol description||Waves in front of a mountain|
with contributions by:
|Art direction||Dawn Murin|
|Release date||June 22, 2018|
|Plane||Plane of Mountains and Seas|
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
Global Series: Jiang Yanggu and Mu Yanling is a pair of Chinese-market-specific Planeswalker Decks featuring two new Planeswalkers, and new cards themed around their story. It was released on June 22, 2018.
Description[edit | edit source]
These two 60-card decks were originally designed by a team of Chinese artists, writers, and folklorists to explore a new branch of Magic lore rooted in Chinese aesthetics and mythology. A similar English version of the same product was created for international audiences. The decks are only released in the Chinese Simplified and English languages.
The set only features four types of basic lands, which are based on locations, stories, and/or traditional Chinese representations of these land types. The Swamp is missing, because none of the decks feature black spells.
Flavor[edit | edit source]
The story takes place on an unnamed plane, inspired by the Chinese Classic of Mountains and Seas, a compilation of mythic geography and myth. While Jiang Yanggu searches for his identity, Mu Yanling is digging for arcane secrets that might right the wrongs of her past.
Marketing[edit | edit source]
Jiang Yanggu and Mu Yanling was created in a collaboration between the Chinese office of Wizards of the Coast and US R&D. Unlike the previous foray in the Chinese market, Portal Three Kingdoms (1999), this set is part of Magic canon, is directly compatable with other current sets. While the cards in it are not designed for serious tournament play, Wizards of the Coast wanted to make sure the fans it was created for — new, Chinese-speaking fans — could still play with the cards at an Friday Night Magic when they were starting out. The set is Standard legal exclusively in (mainland) China. Though the cards will be legal for Legacy and Vintage use, they will not be legal in Modern. In order to avoid fractures the international competitive scene, Play Design made sure that the cards were balanced so that none of them were cards appealing for Constructed.
Similar to Duel Decks, both decks are sold in one package.
Token[edit | edit source]
The set features one double-faced token:
Themes and mechanics[edit | edit source]
Reprints[edit | edit source]
- Brilliant Plan, first printed in Portal Three Kingdoms, last seen in Commander 2013.
- Cloak of Mists, first printed in Urza's Saga.
- Giant Spider, first printed in Alpha, last seen in Amonkhet.
- Welkin Tern, first printed in Zendikar, last seen in Magic 2015.
- Two allied colored dual taplands, first printed in Oath of the Gatewatch, last seen in Dominaria.
Decks[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- English Product page
- 幻境奇谭 (Original Product page)
- Blake Rasmussen. (May 18, 2018.) "Global Series: meet Jiang Yanggu and Mu Yanling", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen. (February 14, 2018.) "Valentine's Day Mini–Announcement Day", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Gavin Verhey. (June 7, 2018.) "Creating Global Series: Jiang Yanggu and Mu Yanling", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.