As part of the Unified Community Platform project, this wiki and 38 others will be migrated to the new platform in the next few weeks. Minimal changes are expected as part of this migration. Read more here.
Glistening oil, also known as Phyrexian oil or Ichor, is a viral substance engineered by the Phyrexians to spread corruption wherever it travels. It is both a contagion and a means of colonization, used to compleat creatures into Phyrexians and power Phyrexian machines as well.
On Phyrexia[edit | edit source]
On Dominaria[edit | edit source]
In post-apocalyptic Dominaria, black-aligned knights and wizards were tainted by the lands where Yawgmoth and his minions had been defeated. You could see evidence of this corruption in the black ichor that ran out of their eyes. In the Mending Era a sample of live, glistening oil recovered from Koilos is rumored to be preserved in the labs of the Academy of Tolaria West.
The Infection of Karn[edit | edit source]
Without knowing it, Karn carried a trace of the Phyrexian oil within him, inside the Phyrexian heartstone granted to him long ago by Urza. Karn left traces of the oil in his travels from plane to plane, including the artificial world that he himself created: Mirrodin.
The Infection of Mirrodin[edit | edit source]
The glistening oil planted a virus on Mirrodin that slowly spread. The first to be infected was Mirrodin's keeper, Memnarch. Unbeknownst to most Mirrans, Phyrexia was rebuilding itself, using their world as its host substrate. The metal structures and metal-infused inhabitants of Mirrodin were a perfect breeding ground for the spread of Phyrexian corruption. As the nascent civilization of Phyrexia expanded in secret, it struggled to evolve a unified purpose, and the danger for the plane of Mirrodin grew until it evolved into New Phyrexia.
In-game references[edit | edit source]
- Befoul (Urza's Saga)
- Blackcleave Cliffs
- Ebony Treefolk
- Ichor Explosion
- Ichor Rats
- Ichor Slick
- Ichor Wellspring
- Ichorclaw Myr
- Inexorable Tide
- Instill Infection
- Loxodon Convert
- Mycosynth Wellspring
- Phyrexian Hulk (New Phyrexia)
- Phyrexian Rebirth
- Rotted Hystrix
- Scourge Servant
- Spread the Sickness
- Steady Progress
- Unnatural Predation
References[edit | edit source]
- Doug Beyer (November 03, 2010). "Infectiously Phyrexian Art". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (August 02, 2007). "Ichor Eyes and the Mask of Yawgmoth". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- James Wyatt (2018), The Art of Magic: The Gathering - Dominaria. VIZ Media.
- Doug Beyer (September 08, 2010). "Phyrexia and the Vaultlord". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer (October 06, 2010). "Spreading the Infection". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer (March 16, 2011). "Six Secrets Behind the Sets". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (February 17, 2011). "Unnaturally Predated". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.