|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
21.9% 2.6% 10.3% 44.5% 9% 1.3% 4.5% 0.6% 3.2% 1.9%
Giants are massive creatures resembling gigantic humans. Most are known for being dimwitted and violent. Giants are associated with all colors of mana, but are most strongly aligned with red. They are not to be confused with creatures from other races that by magical or artificial circumstances have grown to giant sizes. Cards with the creature type Giant first appeared in Alpha: Hill Giant, Stone Giant and Two-Headed Giant of Foriys .
Storyline[edit | edit source]
Dominaria[edit | edit source]
Eldraine[edit | edit source]
On Eldraine, giants usually reside in the wilds and keep their distance from the humans of the Realm. However, some giants choose to align themselves with the court of Garenbrig. The giants of Eldraine come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Smaller giants stand around 10 feet tall. These giants often have skin made of bronze and use their immense strength to bully small folk. Larger giants can stand 15 feet tall. These giants have skin of stone, often covered with naturally growing moss. These giants tend to be kinder to small folk, using their strength to help those in need.
Kaladesh[edit | edit source]
The giants of Kaladesh are nomadic, following the currents of Aether in extensive peregrinations. Twice a year, this brings them close to the city of Ghirapur. The arrival of the giants is celebrated in the migration festival, where teams try to decorate the wandering giants. Giants eat whatever they happen across in the course of their migrations, which includes many other creatures drawn to the aether flow. They are beings of pure aggressive instinct but without a hint of malice. In all likelihood, giants aren’t intelligent enough to wish harm on anyone or anything. Still, the combination of their regular migrations and their sheer destructive power makes these creatures a menace.
Lorwyn-Shadowmoor[edit | edit source]
Lorwyn[edit | edit source]
In the plane known as Lorwyn, giants are associated with white and red mana. They are reclusive and lonely, and are known to take long sleep periods after which they arise with a new purpose in life and name. Giants are a race of hermits, arbiters, explorers, and oracles (some are prone to have prophetic visions of the future). Their long life spans give them a particular perception of time, and wisdom that other races respect.
Some Lorwyn giants huddle in mountain caves; you can spot a giant's lair by the enormous, rugged dolmen stones built up around the entrance. Others range over Lorwyn with long, loping steps. You can tell a giant's travel route by the man-sized, earth-compressed footprints and lack of vegetation.
Shadowmoor[edit | edit source]
In the Shadowmoor aspect of the plane, however, giants are more brutish and associated with red and green mana. During their long sleep periods plants and moss grow over them, and they never bother to remove them.
Giants are viewed by other races as a problem, because they seldom stop in their path, even if a village is on their way.
Mirrodin[edit | edit source]
Ravnica[edit | edit source]
Those giants employed by the Boros legion originate in the Skorskal clan, who has an ancient feud with the Gruul. The Boros mainly use the giants sworn to them for guard duty of their most important strongholds, including Sunhome. They can go for eight hours without blinking.
The giants in service to the Rakdos often act as bouncers and enforces, although some become part of their performances, holding mobile platforms and acting as pillars.
Giants among the Orzhov usually patrol marketplaces, reminding the debtors of the Church to pay their bills in a timely manner.
The giants among the Gruul Clans are known as sunder shamans and channel their rage to enhance their own attacks. Like the rest of the Gruul, they hate the urban development that encroaches on the wilds where they once lived - not least because they have so much difficulty fitting inside the small structures. They delight in destroying such edifices, and in the heat of their rage, they walk through buildings, trample people underfoot, and generally cause as much chaos as possible.
- See also: Titans of Ravnica.
Theros[edit | edit source]
Zendikar[edit | edit source]
The giants of Zendikar live seclusive lives away from the other civilized races. They are organized in three great tribes: The Boulderfoot Tribe lives in Akoum, taking barely notice of smaller humanoids. The Shatterskull tribe dwells in the Skyfang mountains of Murasa, exhorting travelers through the mountains by living as brigands. The Turntimber Tribe lives on the continent of Ondu, practicing druidism and hunting baloth and similar large game. Outcasts of the Turntimbers flee to the Makindi Trenches, stalking travelers for food.
On Zendikar, a docile species of Giants called Hurda are used as pack animals. Hurdas walk on their strongly developed forearms, while their tiny, vestigial legs dangle beneath them. Thick tails keep them balanced.
Notable giants[edit | edit source]
- Axelrod Gunnarson, an anciente giant famous for his long arms.
- Bartel Runeaxe
- Jareth, Leonine Titan, a giant feline and a Pit Fighter.
- The Lady of the Mountain
- King Yorvo
- Ruhan, an independent member of the Fomori giants.
- Brion Stoutarm, an impetuous giant, Kiel's brother.
- Kiel, Brion's brother, with a prophetic talent.
- Rosheen Meanderer, a giant sage and oracle.
Tribal type[edit | edit source]
Tokens[edit | edit source]
|Giant||Red||Creature — Giant||4/4|
|Green||Creature — Giant||7/7|
|Giant Warrior||White||Creature — Giant Warrior||5/5|
|Red/Green||Creature — Giant Warrior||4/4||Haste|
|Zombie Giant||Black||Creature — Zombie Giant||5/5|
named Warchief Giant
|Red||Creature — Giant Warrior||5/3||Haste
|Giant Teddy Bear||Pink||Creature — Giant Teddy Bear||5/5|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In the Grand Creature Type Update the subtype Titan (Mountain Titan) was incorporated into the Giant type.
- M11 introduced a cycle of Mythic Titans: Each of these mythic rare Giants are 6/6, cost MM, have a color themed ability (Vigilance, firebreathing etc.) and have a powerful ability that is triggered by them entering the battlefield or attacking — Sun Titan, Frost Titan, Grave Titan, Inferno Titan and Primeval Titan.
- The subtype Cyclops was obsoleted in Sixth Edition and replaced with Giant. However, this was reversed in the Grand Creature Type Update.
- Sunrise Sovereign is a Giant Lord.
- Giant Creatures which are non-Giant, like Giant Spider, are another staple of the game.
- Size and Strength of Giants are provided by Giant Growth and Giant Strength.
- Opal Titan can become a 4/4 white Giant creature with protection from certain colors.
- Foriysian Totem can become a 4/4 red Giant artifact creature with trample.
References[edit | edit source]
- Kate Elliott (2019), Throne of Eldraine: The Wildered Quest, Penguin Random House
- Chris Mooney (October 31, 2019). "Planeswalker's Guide to Eldraine". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Plane Shift - Kaladesh
- Doug Beyer (March 12, 2008). "Tall Tales". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer (October 31, 2007). "Lorwyn Survival Guide". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (November 15, 2007). "Dolmens". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer (June 11, 2008). "Allies in Conflict". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer (February 09, 2011). "Public Displays of Aggression". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- James Wyatt and Jeremy Crawford (November 2018). "D&D Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica", Wizards of the Coast
- The Magic Creative Team (September 04, 2013). "Planeswalker's Guide to Theros, Part 3". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Plane Shift: Zendikar
- Magic Arcana (February 01, 2010). "The Lowly Hurda". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (October 23, 2007). "Favor of the Mighty". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (June 30, 2010). "The Titans of M11". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (March 10, 2008). "They Might Be Giants". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.