|Symbol description||The pointed arch of a gate|
Mark Rosewater (co-lead),|
Mark Gottlieb (co-lead),
Ethan Fleischer[note 1]
Dave Humphreys (lead),|
|Art direction||Jeremy Jarvis|
|Release date||February 1, 2013|
|Themes and mechanics||
(101 commons, 80 uncommons, 53 rares, 15 mythic rares)
|Return to Ravnica block|
|Magic: The Gathering Chronology|
- 1 Set details
- 2 Themes and mechanics
- 3 Cycles
- 4 Reprinted cards
- 5 Notable cards
- 6 Preconstructed decks
- 7 Gallery
- 8 Notes
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Gatecrash contains 249 cards (101 commons, 80 uncommons, 53 rares, 15 mythic rares), including randomly inserted premium versions of all cards in the set. Like Return to Ravnica, the preceding expansion set, Gatecrash focused on the guild system and multicolor cards. The five guilds returning in Gatecrash were the Boros Legion, House Dimir, Gruul Clans, Orzhov Syndicate, and Simic Combine. Despite being a large expansion, Gatecrash did not contain any basic lands (Return to Ravnica had some extra). The set featured two planeswalkers; one, Gideon, Champion of Justice, was an established planeswalker, whilst the other, Domri Rade was new. The expansion symbol is a pointed arch of a gate.
Flavor and storyline
|“||Fight for Your Guild||”|
|Title||Author||Release Date||Setting (plane)||Featuring|
|Gruul Ingenuity||Adam Lee||2013-01-02||Ravnica||Gruul Clans|
|The Fathom Edict||Brady Dommermuth||2013-01-09||Ravnica||Zegana|
|The Absolution of the Guildpact||Adam Lee||2013-01-16||Ravnica||Thespian's Stage|
|Persistence of Memory||Adam Lee||2013-01-23||Ravnica||Mirko Vosk|
|The Burying, Part 1||Adam Lee||2013-01-30||Ravnica||Domri Rade|
|The Greater Good||Adam Lee||2013-02-06||Ravnica||Gideon Jura, Aurelia|
|The Guild of Deals||Adam Lee||2013-02-12||Ravnica||Orzhov Syndicate|
|Experiment One||Kelly Digges||2013-02-18||Ravnica||Florin|
|The Burying, Part 2||Adam Lee||2013-03-06||Ravnica, Alara||Domri Rade|
|Bilagru Will Come for You||Ari Levitch||2013-03-13||Ravnica||Orzhov Syndicate|
|The Hard Sell||Kelly Digges||2013-03-19||Ravnica||Andra|
|Behind the Black Sun||Adam Lee||2013-03-27||Ravnica||Orzhov Syndicate|
Gatecrash was sold in 16-card boosters, 6-card boosters, five intro packs, two event decks and a fat pack. Like its predecessor the set also featured Booster Battle Packs, which contained two Gatecrash booster packs and two semi-randomized, guild-associated 22-card decks. An early preview picture of the set shows Aurelia, the leader of the Boros Legion, adjacent to planeswalker Gideon Jura, mirroring the preview picture of the preceding Return to Ravnca, which featured Izzet League leader Niv-Mizzet and planeswalker Jace Beleren.
The 16-card boosters featured artwork from Duskmantle Guildmage, Prime Speaker Zegana, Skarrg Guildmage, Vizkopa Guildmage, and Sunhome Guildmage. The small booster featured artwork from Domri Rade.
Wizards of the Coast created a "Choose Your Guild" interactive quiz and Planeswalker Points Web page for the expansion, allowing Magic players to choose their guild. At the expansion's prerelease events on January 26–27, 2013, players chose their guild; a choice that affected gameplay, as, in addition to receiving five Gatecrash boosters, players received a guild-specific sticker, an acceptance letter from their guild leader, a spindown life counter, a promotional prerelease card, an achievement/challenge card, and an additional guild-specific booster. The launch party was on February 1–4, 2013, and the Game Day on February 23–24, 2013.
As was the case with Return to Ravnica, there were five promotional prerelease cards, with the card received dependent on the guild chosen. Another novel feature of the Gatecrash prerelease was the fact that the card could be played in decks at the prerelease itself, unlike previous promotional prerelease cards, were:
- Boros: Foundry Champion
- Dimir: Consuming Aberration
- Gruul: Rubblehulk
- Orzhov: Treasury Thrull
- Simic: Fathom Mage
Other alternate-art promotional cards were:
- Game Day: Full-art Zameck Guildmage
- Game Day (Top 8): Full-art Firemane Avenger
- Release-day Friday Night Magic: Skarrg Goliath
- Gatecrash League: Soldier creature token
- Buy-a-Box: Nightveil Specter
Tokens and emblem
- 4/4 Angel creature token with flying produced by Urbis Protector
- 1/1 Rat creature token produced by Ogre Slumlord
- 3/3 Frog Lizard creature token produced by Rapid Hybridization
- 1/1 Cleric creature token produced by Deathpact Angel
- 1/1 Spirit creature token with flying produced by Beckon Apparition
- 1/1 Horror creature token with flying produced by Call of the Nightwing
- 1/1 Soldier creature token produced by Assemble the Legion and Sunhome Guildmage
- The creature tokens produced by Assemble the Legion and Sunhome Guildmage have haste. The absence of "haste" on the printed token is attributed to additional flexibility, considerations as to the art aspect ratio, and the necessity of a one-turn relevant keyword, especially in light of its benefits.
- Emblem for Domri Rade
The following named tokens were released with Return to Ravnica:
- 2/2 Knight for Knight Watch
- 1/1 Soldier for Murder Investigation
- */* Ooze for Miming Slime, Mystic Genesis, and Ooze Flux
Themes and mechanics
Like the preceding set, Return to Ravnica, Gatecrash revisits five of the ten bicolored guilds of Ravnica. Each guild has its own keyword or ability word. The guilds returning in this expansion are:
|Guild||Colors||Crest||Legendary guild members||Keyword or ability word|
|"Grind" ("Target player reveals cards from the top of their library until they reveal n land cards, then puts all cards revealed this way into their graveyard.") and, more broadly, "Milling" subthemes|
"Graveyard matters" subtheme (viz., Consuming Aberration, Diluvian Primordial, Duskmantle Guildmage, Lazav, Dimir Mastermind, Sepulchral Primordial)
|"Number of land you control" subtheme|
|"Bleeding", or life gain and life loss, subtheme|
|Weenie token subtheme|
|"+1/+1 counters matters" subtheme|
To note: the Guilds are presented in the official order, but they were originally displayed alphabetically by Wizard: Boros Legion, House Dimir, Gruul Clans, Orzhov Syndicate, Simic Combine.
The Simic mechanic evolve was inspired by a similarly named mechanic submitted by Ethan Fleisher for the Great Designer Search 2, and the Boros mechanic battalion was Shawn Main's "assault" mechanic, which was submitted for the same competition. Main also designed the Orzhov extort mechanic; he is noted as being a contributor to the Gatecrash development team.
Other themes and mechanics include:
No novel creature types were introduced in this expansion.
|Primordials||Luminate Primordial||Diluvian Primordial||Sepulchral Primordial||Molten Primordial||Sylvan Primordial|
|Each of these rare Avatar creatures costs MM, has a combat-related ability, and has an "enters the battlefield" triggered ability, the effect of which scales up with the number of opponents.|
|Denizens||Court Street Denizen||Sage's Row Denizen||Shadow Alley Denizen||Foundry Street Denizen||Ivy Lane Denizen|
|Each of these common creatures has a triggered ability, which triggers whenever a creature of color enters the battlefield under your control.|
|Land Auras||Debtor's Pulpit||Skygames||Contaminated Ground||Tin Street Market||Verdant Haven|
|Each of these Auras enchants a land and grant that land an activated ability with a in its cost or an triggered ability, which triggers when that land is tapped.|
Guild cycles in Gatecrash each comprise of five members, one for each guild featured in the expansion. Along with many of the Return to Ravnica guild cycles, many of the Gatecrash guild cycles form Return to Ravnica block mega cycles
|Multicolored spells||Mind Grind||Clan Defiance||Immortal Servitude||Aurelia's Fury||Nimbus Swimmer|
|Each of these rare multicolored spell cards have a cost including . Notably, Aurelia's Fury is a mythic rare; Immortal Servitude is has a hybrid mana cost; and Nimbus Swimmer is a not merely any spell but a creature card.|
The following cards have been reprinted from previous sets and included in Gatecrash:
- Act of Treason, first printed in Magic 2010 was last seen in Magic 2012 and for the first time in an expert-level expansion.
- Assault Griffin, first printed in Magic 2011 was last seen in Magic 2012 and for the first time in an expert-level expansion.
- Cinder Elemental, first printed in Mercadian Masques was last seen in Planechase.
- Beckon Apparition was last seen in Eventide.
- Contaminated Ground was last seen in Rise of the Eldrazi.
- Ember Beast was last seen in Odyssey.
- Frenzied Tilling was last seen in Invasion.
- Naturalize, first printed in Onslaught was last seen in Magic 2013.
- Prophetic Prism, first printed in Rise of the Eldrazi was last seen in Commander.
- Righteous Charge, first printed in Portal Second Age was last seen in Starter 1999 and for the first time in an expert-level expansion.
- Shock lands were last seen in the Ravnica block.
- Skyknight Legionnaire was last seen in Ravnica: City of Guilds.
- Smite, first printed in Stronghold was last seen in Rise of the Eldrazi.
- Angelic Edict is a functional reprint of Iona's Judgment from Worldwake.
- Gutter Skulk is a functional reprint of Walking Corpse from Innistrad.
- Rapid Hybridization is a quasi-functional reprint of Pongify from Planar Chaos; creature subtype is different
- Shielded Passage is a functional reprint of Indestructible Aura from Legends.
- Burst of Strength is strictly better than Battlegrowth.
- Crowned Ceratok is strictly better than Argothian Swine, Golden Bear, Nettle Swine, Order of the Sacred Bell, Spiked Baloth, Vintara Elephant, War Mammoth and Wild Elephant.
- Gateway Shade is strictly better than Frozen Shade.
- Slate Street Ruffian is strictly better than Alley Grifters.
- Legion Loyalist is strictly better than Raging Goblin.
- Millennial Gargoyle is strictly worse than Primal Clay and Tin-Wing Chimera.
- Totally Lost is strictly worse than Vanishment.
- Enter the Infinite is a powerful combo enabler.
- Biovisionary and Hellkite Tyrant are alternate-win cards.
Gatecrash has five bicolored guild-centric intro packs.
|Intro pack name||Colors included||Foil rare|
|Boros Battalion||W||R||Foundry Champion|
|Dimir Dementia||U||B||Consuming Aberration|
|Orzhov Oppression||W||B||Treasury Thrull|
|Simic Synthesis||U||G||Fathom Mage|
Gatecrash has two event decks.
|Rally and Rout||W||R|
|Thrive and Thrash||U||R||G|
A Gatecrash booster pack depicting Duskmantle Guildmage
A Gatecrash booster pack depicting Skarrg Guildmage
A Gatecrash booster pack depicting Prime Speaker Zegana
A Gatecrash booster pack depicting Vizkopa Guildmage
A Gatecrash booster pack depicting Sunhome Guildmage
GTC Game Day (Top 8) promotional card Firemane Avenger
GTC Buy-a-Box promotional card Nightveil Specter
GTC release-day Friday Night Magic promotional card Skarrg Goliath
GTC Game Day promotional card Zameck Guildmage
GTC Boros prerelease promotional card Foundry Champion
GTC Dimir prerelease promotional card Consuming Aberration
GTC Gruul prerelease promotional card Rubblehulk
GTC Orzhov prerelease promotional card Treasury Thrull
GTC Simic prerelease promotional card Fathom Mage
Firemane Avenger, the Orzhov "Holiday Preview" card showcasing Battalion
Whispering Madness, the Orzhov "Holiday Preview" card showcasing Cipher
Rubblehulk, the Gruul "Holiday Preview" card showcasing Bloodrush
Treasury Thrull, the Orzhov "Holiday Preview" card showcasing Extort
Fathom Mage, the Simic "Holiday Preview" card showcasing Evolve
Orzhov Guildgate, a Gate
Gateway Shade, a Gate-associated card
Tin Street Market, a land aura
- Product info
- Mark Rosewater (September 3, 2012). "Return on Investment, Part 1". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (July 16, 2012). "Announcing Gatecrash". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Dave Humpherys (January 7, 2013). "Developing Gatecrash". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Aaron Forsythe (January 2, 2013). "From the Director's Chair: 2012". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mike Flores (January 3, 2013). "Animal House". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Adam Lee (January 16, 2013). "The Absolution of the Guildpact". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- The Magic Creative Team (December 05, 2012). "Planeswalker's Guide to Gatecrash: Part 1". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- The Magic Creative Team (December 12, 2012). "Planeswalker's Guide to Gatecrash: Part 2". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Jeremy Jarvis (January 23, 2013). "The Art of Gatecrash". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (January 11, 2013). "Gatecrash Art Gallery". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett (January 10, 2013). "Gatecrash Booster Battle Packs". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (January 1, 2013). "Gatecrash Booster Packs". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (February 08, 2013). "Guild Letters". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Devon Rule. (July 16, 2012.) "SDCC Panel: Return to Ravnica and More!", gatheringmagic.com.
- Mike McArtor (January 21, 2013). "Gatecrash Prerelease Primer". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (January 2, 2013). "Gatecrash Promo Cards". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (January 3, 2013). "Gatecrash Intro Packs (and Fat Pack)". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (January 25, 2013). "The Alternate Arts". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (January 15, 2013). "Gatecrash Tokens". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (January 15, 2013). "It kind of bothers me that you keep printing tokens without the Haste rules text.". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Wizards of the Coast (December 31, 2012). "Gatecrash Mechanics". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Marshall Sutcliffe (January 2, 2013). "The Ties That Bind". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Gottlieb (December 31, 2012). "Gatecrash Diaries". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (January 7, 2013). "Gatecrashing the Party, Part 2". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Adam Styborski (January 15, 2013). "Bouncing Back". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (January 14, 2013). "Gatecrashing the Party, Part 3". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- SeconDxSunRiisE (December 21, 2012). "". MTG Salvation.
- Gavin Verhey (January 4, 2013). "Greetings and Extortions!". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (December 31, 2012). "Gatecrashing the Party, Part 1". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Sam Stoddard (October 26, 2012). "Return to Multiverse". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (January 4, 2013). "The Gatecrash Guildgates". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (January 21, 2013). "Storming the Gatecrash, Part 1". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (January 14, 2013). "Gatecrash Event Decks". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Gatecrash product information page — Wizards of the Coast
- Monty Ashley (December 31, 2012). "Gatecrash Trailer". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.