From MTG Wiki
|Introduced||Dragons of Tarkir|
|Last Used||Dragons of Tarkir|
|Typical Text||Formidable — …, if creatures you control have total power 8 or greater, …|
66 % 33 %
Formidable is an ability word introduced in Dragons of Tarkir, where it is the signature ability of the red-green Clan Atarka. Creatures with formidable all care in some way about controlling creatures with total power 8 or greater.  
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- If you control a creature with power less than 0, use its actual power when calculating the total power of creatures you control. For example, if you control three creatures with powers 4, 5, and -2, the total power of creatures you control is 7.
- Some formidable abilities are activated abilities that require creatures you control to have total power 8 or greater. Once you activate these abilities, it doesn’t matter what happens to the total power of creatures you control.
- Other formidable abilities are triggered abilities with an “intervening ‘if’” clause. Such abilities check the total power of creatures you control twice: once at the appropriate time to see if the ability will trigger, and again as the ability tries to resolve. If, at that time, the total power of creatures you control is no longer 8 or greater, the ability will have no effect.
Example[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater. (February 29, 2016.) “Storm Scale: Khans of Tarkir Block”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Tabak. (March 2, 2015.) “Mechanics of Dragons of Tarkir”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- March 18, 2015. “Dragons of Tarkir Release Notes”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.