|Reminder Text||First strike (This creature deals combat damage before creatures without first strike.)|
33% 27% 8% 2% 2%
Multicolor 13%, Artifact 9%, Land 1%
First strike is an evergreen keyword ability that changes the rules for combat by adding an additional combat damage step. The ability usually represents a creature's exceptional speed or prowess; or possession of long range weapons, such as spears, lances, or bows. First strike has been in Magic since the original Alpha set.  First strike has appeared in all colors, but is primarily placed in white and red. It is tertiary in black.  The most common creature types to have first strike are Knights and Soldiers.
Rules[edit | edit source]
Examples[edit | edit source]
Enchantments that grant just First Strike[edit | edit source]
All your creatures
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater. (June 8, 2015.) “Evergreen Eggs & Ham”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (August 31, 2012.) "Which colors are primary, secondary and tertiary on first strike?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (June 5, 2017.) “Mechanical Color Pie 2017”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
[edit | edit source]
- A Planeswalker's Primer for Magic 2010: First Strike and Double Strike
- Gavin Verhey. (March 23, 2017.) “Striking First”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.