First strike (This creature deals combat damage before creatures without first strike.)|
33% 27% 8% 2%
2% Multicolor 13% 9%
First strike is an evergreen keyword ability that changes the rules for combat by adding an additional combat damage step.
A creature with first strike deals combat damage before creatures without first strike. The ability usually represents a creature's exceptional speed or prowess; or possession of long range weapons, such as spears, lances, or bows. The most common creature types to have first strike are Knights and Soldiers.
First strike has been in Magic since the original Alpha set. First strike has appeared in all colors, but is primarily placed in white and red. It is tertiary in black.
Fresh Faced Recruit from Guilds of Ravnica is R&D experimenting with creatures that just give first strike offensively.
From the Comprehensive Rules (Ravnica Allegiance (January 25, 2019))
- 702.7. First Strike
- 702.7a First strike is a static ability that modifies the rules for the combat damage step. (See rule 510, "Combat Damage Step.")
- 702.7b If at least one attacking or blocking creature has first strike or double strike (see rule 702.4) as the combat damage step begins, the only creatures that assign combat damage in that step are those with first strike or double strike. After that step, instead of proceeding to the end of combat step, the phase gets a second combat damage step. The only creatures that assign combat damage in that step are the remaining attackers and blockers that had neither first strike nor double strike as the first combat damage step began, as well as the remaining attackers and blockers that currently have double strike. After that step, the phase proceeds to the end of combat step.
- 702.7c Giving first strike to a creature without it after combat damage has already been dealt in the first combat damage step won't preclude that creature from assigning combat damage in the second combat damage step. Removing first strike from a creature after it has already dealt combat damage in the first combat damage step won't allow it to also assign combat damage in the second combat damage step (unless the creature has double strike).
- 702.7d Multiple instances of first strike on the same creature are redundant.
From the glossary of the Comprehensive Rules (Ravnica Allegiance (January 25, 2019))
- First Strike
- A keyword ability that lets a creature deal its combat damage before other creatures. See rule 702.7, "First Strike."
- Anaba Bodyguard -
Creature — Minotaur
First strike (This creature deals combat damage before creatures without first strike.)
Enchantments that grant just First Strike[edit | edit source]
All your creatures
- ↑ Mark Rosewater. (June 8, 2015.) "Evergreen Eggs & Ham", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ Mark Rosewater. (August 31, 2012.) "Which colors are primary, secondary and tertiary on first strike?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- ↑ Mark Rosewater. (June 5, 2017.) "Mechanical Color Pie 2017", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ Mark Rosewater. (January 13, 2019.) "I want to ask about the card I got judge calls about.", Blogatog, Tumblr.