Firebreathing is any mechanic that pays homage to the original Firebreathing card; that is, ": This creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn". This mechanic was featured on the card Shivan Dragon in Alpha and, in general, is a trademark of most dragons. It's most often seen on red creatures. White tends to get one-time upgrades of usually +1/+0. Green gets +N/+0 when it's not intended for it to survive the fight.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Moltensteel Dragon and Immolating Souleater have a phyrexian version of it ": This creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn"
- Steel Hellkite, Narstad Scrapper and Dragon Engine have a colorless version of it ": This creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn"
- Moonveil Dragon does have a similar ability ": Each creature you control gets +1/+0 until end of turn."
- Blistering Dieflyn, Henchfiend of Ukor, and Duergar Cave-Guard can activate firebreathing with half-red hybrid mana in the cost; ": This creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn" for the former pair and ": This creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn" for the latter. All three creatures are monocolored red. Scourge of the Nobilis grants firebreathing to its target, if it is red; this is the only one of the four which can be used to grant 1-to-1 firebreathing with entirely nonred mana.
- Stone Kavu and Steam Spitter are the only green creatures with firebreathing.
- Firescreamer is the only black creature with firebreathing.
- Angelfire Crusader is the only white colored creature with firebreathing.
- Dragonrage is the only instant that can grant firebreathing.
- Brood Keeper and Dragon Egg both make Dragon creature tokens with firebreathing.
- Ghitu War Cry, Captive Flame, and the flip card Homura's Essence are the only non-Aura Enchantments that grant firebreathing.
- A number of Auras grant the enchanted creature firebreathing, including Dragon Mantle, Crown of Flames, and Ghitu Firebreathing.