Heroes of the Realm
Description[edit | edit source]
These cards are specifically created for Wizards of the Coast in very limited numbers, and handed out by the execs to some of their employees as a token of appreciation. Each card includes the name of the employee who receives the card in the right bottom corner. Since these cards don't have the regular card back, the cards aren't legal in any format.
They exist also as oversized cards but with no name of the recipient. An oversized with all the names of the rewarded team hangs in the Hall of Heroes in the Wizards of the Coast Headquarters.
Mark Rosewater notes that these don't at go through the normal design processes, so they aren't always representative of what R&D might actually do on a printed card. The cards aren't designed to be played. They're designed to be read.
2017[edit | edit source]
There are four copies in existence for each one of these:
- Chandra, Gremlin Wrangler — 2016 Magic: The Gathering Reward for the Planeswalker Decks team.
- Dungeon Master — 2016 Dungeons & Dragons Reward for the Fifth Edition team.
- Nira, Hellkite Duelist — 2016 Duel Masters Reward.
2018[edit | edit source]
- Diabolical Salvation
- Inzerva, Master of Insights
- M'Odo, the Gnarled Oracle — 2017 Magic: The Gathering Online Reward.
2019[edit | edit source]
- Kharis & the Beholder — 2018 Magic and D&D influencer projects Reward.
- Optimus Prime, Inspiring Leader — 2018 Transformers TCG Reward. Three-sided card usable in both Magic the Gathering and Transformers TCG games.
- Sol, Advocate Eternal — 2018 Game Support and Customer Service Reward.
- The Legend of Arena — MTG Arena Team Reward.
Card types[edit | edit source]
Tokens[edit | edit source]
|Cleric||White||Creature — Cleric||1/1||Lifelink|
|Devil||Red||Creature — Devil||4/4||Haste
When this creature dies, create a Treasure token. (It's an artifact with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color.")
|Fighter||Red||Creature — Fighter||3/3||First strike|
|Gremlin||Red||Creature — Gremlin||2/2|
|Human||White||Creature — Human||1/1|
|Human Wizard||Red||Creature — Human Wizard||2/1|
|Rogue||Black||Creature — Rogue||2/2||Hexproof|
|Skeleton||Black||Creature — Skeleton||1/1||When this creature dies, each opponent gains 2 life.|
|Wizard||Blue||Creature — Wizard||1/1||Flying|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater (September 20, 2017). "Why are the "Heroes of the Realm" cards black-bordered, when they're mechanically unique promo cards?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (September 20, 2017). "Any word on what special project(s) earned people these cards?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (December 07, 2019). "Why haven't we heard more of the Heroes of the Realm series?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (December 07, 2019). "What are the chances that we will see a collection or compilation product of Heroes of the Realm for the public?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Doug Beyer (September 20, 2017). "Gremlins of the Realm". A Voice for Vorthos. Tumblr.
- Mike Mearls on Twitter
- Masami Ibamoto on Twitter
- Syaba3 on Twitter
- Lee Sharpe on Twitter
- MishyFishyWhoo (November 26, 2019). "Heroes of the Realm card I had the pleasure to design with the rest of the team at Wizards who worked on influencer projects last yea.". Twitter.
- JoeSlucher (November 26, 2019). "Kharis and the Beholder". Deviantart.com.
- Drew Nolosco (December 4, 2019). "Heroes of the Realm Promo - Optimus Prime, Inspiring Leader". Reddit.
- David McDarby (December 2, 2019). "Allow me to introduce you to another WotC Heroes of the Realm card". Twitter.
- Lee Sharpe (December 7, 2019). "Every year, the WotCStaff executive team recognizes a few teams within Wizards as Heroes of the Realm.". Twitter.