Faeries are winged humanoid creatures of diminutive size (sometimes a foot in height or smaller) that are renowned for being great lovers of mischief. Faeries exist through the multiverse, but the most notable faeries are those of Alara (specifically in Esper), Lorwyn, Ulgrotha, and the Dominarian island of Tolaria.
Storyline[edit | edit source]
Alara[edit | edit source]
Before the Conflux, faeries were most common on Esper, where they were Etherium-infused like all other lifeforms. The Esperite faeries had metallic wings and hand-like feet that made them valuable as mechanists.
Dominaria[edit | edit source]
Fire sprites are faeries who can cast fire spells and are perpetually surrounded by a flaming aura. They were summoned by the Kieryn elves while fighting against the Calthyn elves in the White Woods of Corondor.
Flittersprites collect unusually valuable things: coins of fallen empires, baby teeth, and memories of treasured names.
Lorwyn[edit | edit source]
The fae of Lorwyn lead short, flitting lives in pursuit of gossip, diversions, and amusing intrigues.   But faeries can also be carelessly cruel, capricious, and vindictive.  The faeries travel in small groups of three to six called cliques. It is thought that faeries do not dream, which would explain why they spend so much time harvesting the dreams of others.  Faeries can distill these stolen dreams into a sparkling energy that they carry around with them.
Groundlings[edit | edit source]
Wingless Lorwyn faeries are called groundlings.
Ravnica[edit | edit source]
Ravnican faeries are known to be mischievous tricksters. The inhabitants have been grown used to their pranks, with some having established basic security methods against them. Faeries are known to hunt trolls.
Ulgrotha[edit | edit source]
The Faerie Noble was the leader of the faeries of the Great Wood on Ulgrotha. The Autumn Willow created him in the form of Veldrane of Sengir. The noble and his faeries took over the River Bridge in the Great Wood and would push anyone the Autumn Willow did not want to cross into the waters.
Notable Faeries[edit | edit source]
- Devin of Ulgrotha, Faerie Noble
- Oona, Queen of the Fae
- Maralen (questionable, as she was originally an elf but is the current Fae Queen of Lorwyn/Shadowmoor)
- Rubinia Soulsinger
- Vendilion Clique
- Wydwen the Biting Gale
Tribal - Faerie[edit | edit source]
Faerie tokens[edit | edit source]
|Faerie||Blue||Creature — Faerie||1/1||Flying|
named Cloud Sprite
|Blue||Creature — Faerie||1/1||Flying
Cloud Sprite can only block creatures with flying.
|Faerie Rogue||Blue/Black||Creature — Faerie Rogue||1/1||Flying|
|Black||Creature — Faerie Rogue||1/1||Flying|
|Faerie Spy||Blue||Creature — Faerie Spy||2/2||Flying, haste, and "whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player draw a card." Exile them at the beginning of the next end step.|
Sprite tokens[edit | edit source]
Faerie manlands[edit | edit source]
Faeries are also created by:
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In the Grand Creature Type Update the subtypes Noble (Faerie Noble) and Pixie-Queen (Pixie Queen) were incorporated into the Faerie type.
- Faerie Noble and Scion of Oona are Faerie Lords.
- The subtype Ouphe is preferred over Fairie when the creatures aren't little humanoids with wings. It took a while before this distinction became clear. For example Shelkin Brownie used to be a Faerie, while Fyndhorn Brownie used to be a Brownie. Now, both are Ouphes.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Doug Beyer. (October 31, 2007.) “Lorwyn Survival Guide”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer. (January 09, 2008.) “Good Things Come in Threes”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana. (October 02, 2007.) “Faeries vs. Giants”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer. (March 05, 2008.) “Following a Dream”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer. (June 11, 2008.) “Allies in Conflict”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana. (September 26, 2005.) “Ravnica Hunted Tokens 1”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.