We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: TBD -- Update: Fri 10/20 11pm UTC - We have encountered some unexpected issues. Our staff is working around the clock to complete this process as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
Friday Night Magic
Friday Night Magic (FNM) is a weekly Magic: The Gathering tournament played in many different local communities. Friday Night Magic generally uses formats which are accessible to its player-base, with Limited and Standard being common. It is considered by Wizards of the Coast to be one of the most successful play programs in their history.
FNM is known for its prize support, which until September 2017 included a monthly foil card which each winner received, known as a FNM promo. Starting with the release of Ixalan, FNM "seasons" were aligned with set releases, and promos were changed to foil double-sided tokens. This move was motivated by the wish to target to provide a space for the "interested player" in a more casual setting. The "engaged player" would instead be serviced by the Standard Showdown.
FNM cards[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Chris Tulach. (July 16, 2017.) “In-Store Play Evolves”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen. (July 17, 2017.) “The July 17, 2017 Update”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- WotC OP Support Change - A Paradigm Shift in Organized Play
- Mark Rosewater. (July 18, 2017.) "So the new change of FNM promos is to make FNM a casual environment?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (July 20, 2017.) "Why are you trying to rebuild a +20 year old event when you could have just made a new event?", Blogatog, Tumblr.