|Introduced:||Hour of Devastation|
|Last Used:||Hour of Devastation|
|Reminder Text:||Eternalize (cost) ((Cost), Exile this card from your graveyard: Create a token that's a copy of it, except it's a 4/4 black Zombie ... with no mana cost. Eternalize only as a sorcery.)|
|Statistics:|| 9 cards|
33% 34% 11% 11% 11%
|Gatherer search for "Eternalize"|
Eternalize is a keyword ability introduced in Hour of Devastation. Eternalize is centered in white and blue, but shows up once in each of the other colors. Storywise, the mechanic is linked to the Eternals, Bolas' army of Zombie Warriors, mummified through the use of lazotep.
Description[edit | edit source]
The eternalize ability only can be activated if the creature is in your graveyard. When activated, the card is exiled but it creates a token copy of that creature. Moreover, this creature token has four changes: its Power and Toughness becomes 4/4, it has no mana cost, it is a zombie in addition to its other creature types, and it becomes a monocolored black creature.
The Hour of Devastation set features a token card for each creature card with eternalize to emphasize the flavor of the Eternals. These supplements are not required to play with cards with eternalize; you can use the same items to represent an eternalized token as you would any other token. For easy play, extra "eternalized" markers were provided on punch cards.
Rules[edit | edit source]
Example[edit | edit source]
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- The token copies exactly what was printed on the original card and nothing else. It doesn't copy any information about the object the card was before it was put into your graveyard.
- The token is a Zombie in addition to its other types and is black instead of its other colors. It has no mana cost, and thus its converted mana cost is 0. These are copiable values of the token that other effects may copy.
- If the card copied by the token had any "when [this permanent] enters the battlefield" abilities, then the token also has those abilities and will trigger them when it's created. Similarly, any "as [this permanent] enters the battlefield" or "[this permanent] enters the battlefield with" abilities that the token has copied will also work.
Eternalize tokens[edit | edit source]
| Zombie Cat
named Adorned Pouncer
|Black||Creature — Zombie Cat||4/4||Double strike|
| Zombie Human Cleric
named Steadfast Sentinel
|Black||Creature — Zombie Human Cleric||4/4||Vigilance|
| Zombie Human Warrior
named Proven Combatant
|Black||Creature — Zombie Human Warrior||4/4|
| Zombie Human Wizard
|Black||Creature — Zombie Human Wizard||4/4|| Menace
When Dreamstealer deals combat damage to a player, that player discards that many cards.
| Zombie Human Wizard
named Sunscourge Champion
|Black||Creature — Zombie Human Wizard||4/4||When Sunscourge Champion enters the battlefield, you gain life equal to its power.|
| Zombie Jackal Warrior
named Earthshaker Khenra
|Black||Creature — Zombie Jackal Warrior||4/4|| Haste
When Earthshaker Khenra enters the battlefield, target creature with power less than or equal to Earthshaker Khenra's power can't block this turn.
| Zombie Jackal Wizard
named Resilient Khenra
|Black||Creature — Zombie Jackal Wizard||4/4||When Resilient Khenra enters the battlefield, you may have target creature get +X/+X until end of turn, where X is Resilient Khenra's power.|
| Zombie Naga Warrior
named Sinuous Striker
|Black||Creature — Zombie Naga Warrior||4/4||: Sinuous Striker gets +1/-1 until end of turn.|
| Zombie Naga Wizard
named Champion of Wits
|Black||Creature — Zombie Naga Wizard||4/4||When Champion of Wits enters the battlefield, you may draw cards equal to its power. If you do, discard two cards.|
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater. (June 19, 2017.) “Darkest Hour, Part 1”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Youtube - Art of Amonkhet
- Matt Tabak. (June 17, 2017.) “Hour of Devastation Mechanics”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (June 17, 2017.) "Do all eternalized creatures become 4/4?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (July 24, 2017.) “Odds & Ends: Hour of Devastation, Part 1”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.