We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: TBD -- Update: Fri 10/20 11pm UTC - We have encountered some unexpected issues. Our staff is working around the clock to complete this process as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
Equipment is an artifact subtype that has the "equip" keyword ability. By paying the equip cost, it attaches to a creature you control. If that creature leaves play, the Equipment becomes unattached and remains in play. Paying the equip cost also allows the Equipment to be moved from one creature to another.
History[edit | edit source]
Equipment was created as an attempt to improve on the concept of creature enchantments — specifically, the inherent card disadvantage of attaching Auras to a creature. First appearing throughout Mirrodin block, that block's heavy artifact theme presented an opportunity to represent a creature's magical weapons and devices as artifacts instead of enchantments, and introduce new rules for using them. Equipment was introduced to core sets in 9th Edition.
Alara Reborn introduced the first colored equipment.
Rules[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Since the Hero's Path of Journey into Nyx, Equipment may also be a subtype of the non-official Hero card type.
- Equipment was featured as rules card 5 of 5 in the Morningtide set.
Equipment Tokens[edit | edit source]
named Stoneforged Blade
|Colorless||Artifact — Equipment|| Indestructible
Equipped creature gets +5/+5 and has double strike.
named Bloodforged Battle-Axe
|Colorless||Artifact — Equipment|| Equipped creature gets +2/+0.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, create a token that's a copy of Bloodforged Battle-Axe.
See also[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Paul Barclay. (September 2, 2003.) “Rules for Equipment”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (August 22, 2005.) “Equipment To Be”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Aaron Forsythe. (August 26, 2005.) “The Power That is Equipment”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana. (February 18, 2004.) “The Flavor of Equipment”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana. (August 22, 2005.) “The Flavor of Equipment II”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.