|Last Used||Modern Horizons|
|Reminder Text||Entwine [cost] (Choose all if you pay the entwine cost.)|
18.5% 14.8% 18.5% 22.2% 18.5% 3.7% 3.7%
Description[edit | edit source]
As you cast a spell with entwine, if you additionally pay the entwine cost, instead of choosing only one of the modes of the spell, you choose both.
Rules[edit | edit source]
- A keyword ability that lets a player choose all modes for a spell rather than just the number specified. See rule 702.41, “Entwine.”
- 702.41. Entwine
- 702.41a Entwine is a static ability of modal spells (see rule 700.2) that functions while the spell is on the stack. “Entwine [cost]” means “You may choose all modes of this spell instead of just the number specified. If you do, you pay an additional [cost].” Using the entwine ability follows the rules for choosing modes and paying additional costs in rules 601.2b and 601.2f–h.
- 702.41b If the entwine cost was paid, follow the text of each of the modes in the order written on the card when the spell resolves.
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- You decide whether you're paying the entwine cost as you cast the spell.
- If you choose not to pay the entwine cost, you can choose only one mode. If you choose to pay the entwine cost, you choose both modes.
- If you pay the entwine cost, choose targets for both modes as you cast the spell. When the spell resolves, follow the instructions in the order they're written.
Examples[edit | edit source]
Betrayal of Flesh
Choose one —
• Destroy target creature.
• Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield.
Entwine — Sacrifice three lands. (Choose both if you pay the entwine cost.)
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater (April 13, 2015). "Maro's Command". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (June 20, 2016). "25 More Random Things About Magic". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Tabak (May 31, 2019). "Modern Horizons Mechanics". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.