History[edit | edit source]
The earliest Enchantments that could become a creature as well were Still Life and Testament of Faith from Odyssey and Halcyon Glaze from Ravnica: City of Guilds. The type line Enchantment Creature was then introduced on the futureshifted card in Future Sight called Lucent Liminid. Enchantment Creatures later reappeared as a full-fledged mechanic in the Theros set, where they represent the gods themselves and their creations and emissaries (creatures with bestow). The enchantment creatures were highlighted in the following set, which was named after them — Born of the Gods. These had all global enchantment effects.
Storyline[edit | edit source]
In his quest to propel himself to godhood, the satyr Planeswalker Xenagos began a series of mystical rituals. These rituals had an unanticipated side effect: the blurring of the lines between the realm of the gods and everyday existence. Creatures that used to dwell exclusively in Nyx began appearing in the mortal world. These beings born of the gods' starry domain are known as the Nyxborn.
The Nyx frame[edit | edit source]
Enchantment creatures and enchantment artifacts in the Theros block all have a unique card frame that shows the starfield of Nyx. The Nyx frame doesn't have any rules associated with it. It's a reminder that these creatures and artifacts are also enchantments. Other enchantments in Theros use the regular card frame.
References[edit | edit source]
- September 2, 2013. “Mark Rosewater”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (January 20, 2014.) “Born Legacy”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- The Magic Creative Team. (January 08, 2014.) “Planeswalker's Guide to Born of the Gods”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Marshall Sutcliffe. (January 22, 2014.) “The Nyxborn Five”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett. (March 31, 2014.) “Dawn to Dusk”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast. (September 02, 2013.) “The Mechanics of Theros”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.