|Last Used||Eldritch Moon|
|Reminder Text||Emerge [cost] (You may cast this spell by sacrificing a creature and paying the emerge cost reduced by that creature's converted mana cost)|
Emerge is a keyword ability introduced in Eldritch Moon that provides an alternative cost for a spell when sacrificing a creature. Emerge was designed by Sam Stoddard's devolepment team, and inspired by the old ninjutsu mechanic.
In Eldritch Moon, each Emerge cost was 1 mana lower than the converted mana cost, but included at least one colored mana. Emerge was associated with Green, Black, and Blue. It was only present on colorless Eldrazi creatures, all but one of which contained a "When you cast this..." ability.
Foul Emissary does not have Emerge, but produces a synergistic effect when sacrificed for Emerge.
Rules[edit | edit source]
- 702.118. Emerge
- 702.118a Emerge represents two static abilities that function while the spell with emerge is on the stack. “Emerge [cost]” means “You may cast this spell by paying [cost] and sacrificing a creature rather than paying its mana cost” and “If you chose to pay this spell’s emerge cost, its total cost is reduced by an amount of generic mana equal to the sacrificed creature’s converted mana cost.” Paying a card’s emerge cost follows the rules for paying alternative costs in rules 601.2b and 601.2f–h.
- 702.118b You choose which creature to sacrifice as you choose to pay a spell’s emerge cost (see rule 601.2b), and you sacrifice that creature as you pay the total cost (see rule 601.2h).
- A keyword ability that lets a player cast a spell for less by sacrificing a creature. See rule 702.118, “Emerge.”
Examples[edit | edit source]
Decimator of the Provinces
Creature — Eldrazi Boar
Emerge (You may cast this spell by sacrificing a creature and paying the emerge cost reduced by that creature's converted mana cost.)
When you cast this spell, creatures you control get +2/+2 and gain trample until end of turn.
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Matt Tabak (June 27, 2016). "Eldritch Moon Mechanics". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (July 4, 2016). "Over the Moon, Part 2". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Sam Stoddard (July 15, 2016). "A Little Change Will Do You Good". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.