|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
23.5% 5.9% 64.7% 5.9%
Elk is a primarily green/white creature type used for cards depicting large deer. Elk (or Wapiti) are similar to the Red Deer found in Europe, of which they were long believed to be a subspecies. In the deer family, only the common moose (confusingly referred to as "elk" in some European countries) rival the elk in size.
The first creature to bear the type was Gang of Elk from Urza's Legacy. It used to be a Beast, but this was changed in the Grand Creature Type Update. For a long time, it was the only Elk card until Great Sable Stag was printed in Magic 2010. Theros features an enchantment creature with the subtype that acts as Heliod's emissary.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Elk are Deer but not all Deer are Elk. That knowledge does make Mark Rosewater willing to change Elk to Deer if R&D started over.
- The blue aligned Wetland Sambar from Khans of Tarkir is the only non-white, non-green elk seen thus far.
- Sambar is a real species.
References[edit | edit source]
- Doug Beyer (February 10, 2010). "Angry Lands, Brave Adventurers, and Other Decks for Vorthos". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (November 17, 2018). "is there a particular reason Druid of the Sacred Beaker is a Deer as opposed to an Elk?". Blogatog. Tumblr.