|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
46.7% 1.7% 43.3% 3.3% 3.3% 1.7%as of Zendikar Rising
Elephant is a creature type describing large mammals of the pachyderm family. They have been seen on Rabiah, Rath and Dominaria. The anthropomorphic Loxodon have been seen on Mirrodin, Ravnica and Tarkir.
The first Elephant card was War Elephant in Arabian Nights. Aside from Khans of Tarkir, elephants were only within the green/white pairing. In general, anthropomorphic Elephants are white and wild elephants are green.
Regular Elephants[edit | edit source]
Rabiah[edit | edit source]
Rabian elephants are trained and guided by humans for combat. Their main use is to charge the enemy, trampling them and breaking their ranks. A division of war elephants is known as elephantry.
Dominaria[edit | edit source]
Rath[edit | edit source]
Armodons are elephants native to Rath. They are distinct from other elephants since they have two sets of tusks, two large horns on top of their head and three or more horns on the base of their trunk. They are almost extinct.
Mammoths[edit | edit source]
Dominaria[edit | edit source]
Wild Mammoths can be trained as beasts of war.
Ikoria[edit | edit source]
Honey Mammoths have a blue colored head and a big sweet tooth.
Ulgrotha[edit | edit source]
Ulgrothan mammoths were eventually almost entirely bred and kept in captivity, especially among the folks of An-Havva. They were used for difficult labor.
Mastodons[edit | edit source]
Tarkir[edit | edit source]
On Tarkir, Mastodons became extinct in the past, but foul forces of the Gurmag Swamp sometimes animate their decaying remains. The Sultai happily exploit such creatures but consider them inferior to their own necromantic creations.
Terastodons[edit | edit source]
Zendikar[edit | edit source]
Loxodons[edit | edit source]
Loxodons are elephantine humanoids of unknown origin.
Ravnica[edit | edit source]
Most of the Ravnican Loxodons seek membership in the Selesnya Conclave, it being the most naturalistic of the guilds. Unlike their non-sentient elephant cousins, all Loxodons are white or white-green creatures rather than only green. They are tireless, patient artisans with a gift for stonework. It primarily falls to them to build the guild's magnificent, cathedral-like arboretum structures.
Mirrodin[edit | edit source]
Loxodons were brought to Mirrodin via Memnarch's soul traps. In Mirrodin, they had as much metal on their bodies as any other beings, and had a more clerical rather than natural focus. Inhabiting the Razor Fields, these Loxodons believed in the Modest Truth, a code of absolute morality that was taken at face value and passed on from generation to generation. In arguments, Loxodons proved stubborn and nearly impossible to sway. Some Mirrans even doubted if a Loxodon was able to think in shades of grey. Loxodons wandered around the fields, dispensing justice in form of physical punishment and offering atonement. These loxodon ascribed religious superiority to those born albino, believing them to be spiritually pure. Long ago, the Auriok attempted peace with the loxodons and the leonin attempted war; neither succeeded.
As Mirrodin became New Phyrexia, the Machine Orthodoxy's invasion of the Razor Fields isolated the remaining loxodon. The last remaining living loxodons on the plane are the ones who accompany Ghalma the Shaper, who has settled in Bladehold.
Tarkir[edit | edit source]
Loxodon can also be found in Tarkir. Allied with the Temur Frontier, these are very different from the Loxodon of other planes, resembling mammoths and being disconnected from White mana, instead being red and blue (Avalanche Tusker) in addition to green.
Notable Loxodons[edit | edit source]
Tokens[edit | edit source]
|Token Name||Color||Type Line||P/T||Text Box||Source||Printings|
|Elephant||Green||Creature — Elephant||3/3|
|Green||Creature — Elephant||*/*||This creature's power and toughness are each equal to the number of creature cards in its controller's graveyard.|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In the Grand Creature Type Update the creature type Mammoth was incorporated in the creature type Elephant.
- Though in the real world "Loxodon" as a genus signifies a sliteye shark, the word "Loxodonta" is the genus for African elephants. This was the inspiration for the Magic name for humanoid elephants.
- Unhinged has two Elephant-folk which aren't Loxodons (Bosom Buddy and Frankie Peanuts).
- Mosstodon is a Plant Elephant.
- Metamorphic Wurm is a bizarre creature from Otaria, which can morph between the form of an elephant and that of a wurm. Its unknown which is their original form.
- Gift of Tusks is an instant that turns any creature into an 3/3 green Elephant.
- Unstable 's Shellephant an Elephant "and/or" a Turtle.
References[edit | edit source]
- Monty Ashley (September 01, 2010). "A Mighty Return". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (February 17, 2010). "Sketches: Terastodon". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Unearthed Arcana; Races of Ravnica (PDF)
- James Wyatt and Jeremy Crawford (November 2018). "D&D Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica", Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer (February 09, 2011). "Public Displays of Aggression". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer (December 08, 2010). "The Nonhuman Cultures of Mirrodin". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Eli Shiffrin (November 11, 2019). "Mystery Booster Release Notes". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (June, 2007). "Ask Wizards - June, 2007". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (November 16, 2017). "This card started life in a black bordered set as Elephurtle.". Blogatog. Tumblr.