|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
1.7% 1.7% 2.3% 25.7% 8.6% 41.1% 1.1% 1.1% 0.6% 2.9% 0.6% 0.6% 2.3% 9.7%as of Core Set 2021
Insect is a catch-all creature type used for crawling or flying little creatures, as well as larger and/or humanoid variants thereof. The first creature to bear the type was Yavimaya Gnats in Ice Age (though the Carrion Ants from Legends was later issued errata to become an insect.)
Types of insects[edit | edit source]
Imago[edit | edit source]
- Ant (Army Ants, Ant Queen)
- Bee (Killer Bees, Unyaro Bees)
- Beetle (Carrion Beetles, Scavenging Scarab, Monstrous Carabid)
- Butterfly (Giant Caterpillar produces Insect tokens named Butterfly)
- Cockroach (Brood of Cockroaches)
- Dragonfly (Bayou Dragonfly)
- Firefly (Firefly)
- Fly (Robber Fly)
- Gnat (Yavimaya Gnats)
- Grasshopper (Acridian)
- Hornet (Hornet Queen)
- Locust (Locust Swarm)
- Mantis (Giant Mantis)
- Mosquito (Swamp Mosquito)
- Moth (Hawkeater Moth)
- Solifuge (Giant Solifuge; actually an arachnid)
- Wasp (Caustic Wasps)
- Walking Stick (Twigwalker)
- Weevil (Brain Weevil)
Larva[edit | edit source]
Artifact[edit | edit source]
- Clockwork Beetle
- Clockwork Swarm
- Hornet Cannon (produces Insect artifact creature tokens named Hornet)
- Jhoira's Toolbox
- Rust Tick
- Wirefly Hive (produces Insect artifact creature tokens named Wirefly)
- The Hive (produces Insect artifact creature tokens named Wasp)
Plagues[edit | edit source]
Amonkhet[edit | edit source]
Grixis[edit | edit source]
Banewasps are omnivorous insects that nest in reeflike hives that tower over Grixis's sea. Banewasps prefer decaying flesh to other food and will swarm in great numbers in search of freshly dead corpses. However, sometimes the larvae feed on the flesh of zombies or living humans.
Mirrodin / New Phyrexia[edit | edit source]
Pistus flies are mosquito-like flying insects that feed on the fluids of living beasts on Mirrodin. A sufficiently hungry swarm of pistus flies can even take down a dragon.In recent times they've become an unwitting ally of New Phyrexia, as they are capable of slurping up and then spreading the Phyrexian contagion to other creatures.
Sapient insects[edit | edit source]
Dominaria[edit | edit source]
Emerald dragonflies[edit | edit source]
Eumidians[edit | edit source]
Eumidians are humanoid wasps with brilliant gold exoskeletons, four transparent wings, and large green compound eyes.
Nantuko[edit | edit source]
The Nantuko are a sapient race of mostly benevolent man-sized insects, who lived a life of strong respect for nature and protected the Krosan Forest. Nantuko are most commonly found in Krosa on Otaria, but have appeared on Urborg as well. During the time of major climate change in Sarpadia following The Brothers' War, the Thelonite Order included humanoid insects who may have been Nantuko.
The current fate of the Nantuko race is unknown, as Krosa has been all but destroyed after the machinations of Karona, the Mirari, and the time rifts. In the Time Spiral novel, there are mentions of Nantukos still living in Urborg, and serving Lord Windgrace.
Notable Nantuko include:
Innistrad[edit | edit source]
Ravnica[edit | edit source]
Kraul[edit | edit source]
The sapient Kraul inhabit the Undercity, far below the main streets of Ravnica. Living on the periphery, some felt a sense of loyalty and kinship toward the Golgari Swarm, while others rejected the guilds. These six-legged insectile beings are hard-headed and literal-minded. Some of them possess a set of functional wings and are capable of flight. These creatures lay their eggs in the body of another species. The giant "mother" is eaten alive when the eggs gestate. Highest in rank are the death priests, followed by the necromancers. The majority occupy various role of soldiery, from commanders to lowliest infantry. Their current leader is the death priest Mazirek.
Use of insects[edit | edit source]
Dominaria[edit | edit source]
Kamigawa[edit | edit source]
Ravnica[edit | edit source]
Tarkir[edit | edit source]
At the isolated Highspire Stronghold on Tarkir, monks of the Jeskai Way are trained to control and ride wild mantises. These mantises make for dangerous mounts, never forming a sense of loyalty toward their riders, who must take care to always be on their guard.
Grand Creature Type Update[edit | edit source]
In (and before) the Grand Creature Type Update the creature types Ant, Bee, Butterfly, Caterpillar, Dragonfly, Hornet, Mosquito, Swarm, Wasp and Wirefly were changed to Insect. In Magic, centipedes are also considered insects.
Notable Insects[edit | edit source]
Triva[edit | edit source]
Tokens[edit | edit source]
|Insect||Black||Creature — Insect||0/1|
|Black||Creature — Insect||1/1|
|Black/Green||Creature — Insect||1/1|
|Green||Creature — Insect||1/1|
|Green||Creature — Insect||1/1||Flying, deathtouch|
|Green||Creature — Insect||1/1||Infect|
|Blue/Red||Creature — Insect||1/1||Flying, haste|
|Green||Creature — Insect||6/1||Shroud|
|Green||Creature — Insect||1/1||Flying|
|Colorless||Artifact Creature — Insect||1/1||Flying, haste|
|Colorless||Artifact Creature — Insect||1/1||Flying|
|Colorless||Artifact Creature — Insect||2/2||Flying|
named Giant Adephage
|Green||Creature — Insect||7/7||Trample
Whenever Giant Adephage deals combat damage to a player, put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of Giant Adephage.
|Insect||Black||Creature — Insect||1/1|
Manlands[edit | edit source]
Manstones[edit | edit source]
- Golgari Keyrune — 2/2 Insect artifact creature with deathtouch
References[edit | edit source]
- Magic Arcana (June 16, 2009). "Insects of Alara". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Michael Yichao (June 21, 2017). "The Hour of Glory". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer (February 02, 2011). "A Linguistic Look at Besieged". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer (March 16, 2011). "Six Secrets Behind the Sets". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (March 18, 2004). "Odyssey style guide: Nantuko". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Nicky Drayden (November 7, 2018). "Death's Precious Moments". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- James Wyatt (January 2019). "The Art of Magic: The Gathering - Ravnica". Wizards of the Coast
- James Wyatt (2018), The Art of Magic: The Gathering - Dominaria. VIZ Media.
- Magic Arcana (April 14, 2005). "Kamigawa Style Guide: Moth Mounts". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (July 05, 2005). "A Couple of Misers". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (December 02, 2002). "Sketches: Symbiotic Beast". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (March 15, 2007). "Planar Chaos Token Art 1". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.