Fifth Dawn (mechanic)|
|Reminder Text||No official reminder text|
Doubling may be applied to:
- The number of counters (e.g. Deepglow Skate, Kalonian Hydra)
- The amount of each type of mana in your mana pool (Doubling Cube)
- Power and toughness (Grunn, the Lonely King)
Rules[edit | edit source]
- 701.9. Double
- 701.9a Doubling a creature’s power and/or toughness creates a continuous effect. This effect modifies that creature’s power and/or toughness but doesn’t set those characteristics to a specific value. See rule 613.3c.
- 701.9b To double a creature’s power, that creature gets +X/+0, where X is that creature’s power as the spell or ability that doubles its power resolves. Similarly, an effect that doubles a creature’s toughness gives it +0/+X, where X is that creature’s toughness. Doubling a creature’s power and toughness gives it +X/+Y, where X is its power and Y is its toughness.
- 701.9c If a creature’s power is less than 0 when it’s doubled, doubling that creature’s power instead means that the creature gets -X/-0, where X is the difference between 0 and its power. Similarly, if its toughness is less than 0 when doubled, it gets -0/-X. If one characteristic’s value is negative but the other isn’t when both are doubled, it gets -X/+Y or +X/-Y, as appropriate.
- 701.9d To double a player’s life total, the player gains or loses an amount of life such that their new life total is twice its current value.
- 701.9e To double the number of a kind of counters on a player or permanent, give that player or permanent as many of those counters as that player or permanent already has.
- 701.9f To double the amount of a type of mana in a player’s mana pool, that player adds an amount of mana of that type equal to the amount they already have.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Maro's Gone Nuts is a Mystery Booster test card that spoofs Mark Rosewater's love for designing doubling mechanics. It doubles any effect that doubles (it quadruples).