|Introduced||Return to Ravnica|
|Last Used||Dragon's Maze|
|Reminder Text||Detain (Until your next turn, that permanent can't attack or block and its activated abilities can't be activated.)|
36.4% 27.3% 36.4%
Detain is a keyword action that was introduced in Return to Ravnica as the guild mechanic of the Azorius guild. Dragon's Maze added 2 cards with detain. In effect, for one round of turns, it is an Arrest or Faith's Fetters for any permanent.
Rules[edit | edit source]
- A keyword action that temporarily stops a permanent from attacking, blocking, or having its activated abilities activated. See rule 701.28, “Detain.”
- 701.28. Detain
- 701.28a Certain spells and abilities can detain a permanent. Until the next turn of the controller of that spell or ability, that permanent can’t attack or block and its activated abilities can’t be activated.
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- Activated abilities include a colon and are written in the form “[cost]: [effect].” No one can activate any activated abilities, including mana abilities, of a detained permanent.
- The static abilities of a detained permanent still apply. The triggered abilities of a detained permanent can still trigger.
- If a creature is already attacking or blocking when it’s detained, it won’t be removed from combat. It will continue to attack or block.
- If a permanent’s activated ability is on the stack when that permanent is detained, the ability will be unaffected.
- If a noncreature permanent is detained and later turns into a creature, it won’t be able to attack or block.
- When a player leaves a multiplayer game, any continuous effects with durations that last until that player's next turn or until a specific point in that turn will last until that turn would have begun. They neither expire immediately nor last indefinitely.
Examples[edit | edit source]
Creature — Human Knight
When Lyev Skyknight enters the battlefield, detain target nonland permanent an opponent controls. (Until your next turn, that permanent can't attack or block and its activated abilities can't be activated.)