|Design||Richard Garfield and Jon Finkel|
|Release date||December, 2001|
|Early Box sets|
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
Description[edit | edit source]
The card pool was Ice Age and Alliances, and the reprint policy had to be taken in account. Each could only use four rare cards in the deck, and no more than two copies of any one card. Color hosers were not permitted. The resulting decks are showcased in this set.
In the actual match, Finkel beat Garfield 2-0. The first game was fairly even and was lost due to Garfield making a number of mistakes based on rules that had changed since he invented the game; game 2 wasn’t even close.
Contents[edit | edit source]
The contents of the box set are:
- The two 62-card prebuilt decks, each featuring 60 white bordered Ice Age and Alliances cards and two exclusive black bordered premium cards
- Two 20-sided Spindown life counters
- A 10-by-14 inch poster of Lhurgoyf fighting Goblin Mutant
- A full-color booklet containing decklists, expert analysis, biographies, behind-the-scenes stories
- Embossed metal Deckmasters case which can hold over 700 cards in standard sized sleeves or eleven 60 card decks.
The four premium cards in the box set are:
Decklists[edit | edit source]
Garfield[edit | edit source]
Garfield is a red / green deck. Drop creatures as fast as you can, and use the red spells to clear the way for them to attack. Most of the creatures in the deck have such a high toughness that red burn spells won't kill them.
Finkel[edit | edit source]
Finkel is a black / red deck. The deck starts by summoning efficient, versatile and hard-to-neutralize creatures. Clear a path with spot removal, and finish by hurling great balls of fire at the opponent. Use the Necropotence whenever you can.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Wizards of the Coast (August 02, 2004). "Ask Wizards - August, 2004". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (July, 2002). "Ask Wizards - July 2002". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Finkel vs. Garfield
- mtg champ vs. creator
- Wizards of the Coast (January 17, 2002). "Avenge Richard Garfield!". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.