Crocodile is a creature type used for large aquatic reptile predators found in sluggish waters and swamps of the tropics. They appear in black, blue or green. The first creature to bear the type was Sandbar Crocodile in Mirage.
Naming issues[edit | edit source]
The correct term for this subtype would have been "crocodilians", including the alligator, caiman, crocodile, and gharial families. Alligators have wider and shorter heads than crocodiles. Rootwater Alligator was printed with the subtype Alligator, but for gaming reasons (tribal) this was changed to Crocodile in the Grand Creature Type Update. Gharials (like Grayscaled Gharial and Algae Gharial) are a species of crocodilians with long, slender snouts.
Storyline[edit | edit source]
Crocodiles are found on:
- Alara: on the shard of Jund, the viashino possess a crocodilian form. After the Conflux the Viashiono of Jund were confronted by their primitive, beastly, counterparts on Naya.
- Amonkhet: Crocodiles are found as both wild animals as well as strange, soul-devouring demons known as Ammits. They are sacred to the gods Bontu and Rhonas; the former bears a crocodile head. Dragons and drakes in this plane also bear crocodilian visages.
- Kamigawa: Kakkazan was a spirit in the shape of an upright crocodile with ruby colored scales.
- Tarkir: Crocodiles are naturally found in the Gurmag Swamp. The Sultai Brood keeps both living and undead crocodiles as guard dogs for their jungle palaces. This is depicted in Dead Drop , Death Frenzy , Kheru Dreadmaw , and Grim Contest
Notable crocodiles[edit | edit source]
- Emperor Crocodile — This crocodile has a strong power/toughness ratio (5/5) compared to it's mana cost, . The only downside of this creature is that it must be sacrificed if it's the only creature you control.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Marsh Crocodile — The only multicolored crocodile.
- Dross Crocodile and Kheru Dreadmaw — The 2 only Zombie crocodiles.
- Skeletal Crocodile — The only Skeleton crocodile.
- The Crocanura is a mutant Crocodile Frog
References[edit | edit source]
- Doug Beyer. (December 3, 2008.) "Jund's One Rule", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana. (November 17, 2008.) "Sketches: Vicious Shadows", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana. (May 19, 2009.) "Sketches: Predatory Advantage", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Michael Yichao. (May 3, 2017.) "Brazen", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.