Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Core Set 2020
|Core Set 2020|
Yoni Skolnik (lead)|
|Development||Same as design|
|Art direction||Keven Smith|
|Release date||July 12, 2019|
|Chandra Nalaar, Elementals, wedges, color hate, leylines|
or ability words
|Evergreen (including Protection again)|
280 cards (112 Commons, 80 Uncommons, 53 Rares, 15 Mythic Rares, 20 Basic Lands)|
+1 Buy-a-Box promo
+20 Planeswalker deck exclusives
+43 introductory product cards
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
- 1 Set details
- 2 Themes and mechanics
- 3 Cycles
- 4 Notable cards
- 5 Changes
- 6 Card comparisons
- 7 Preconstructed decks
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Set details[edit | edit source]
Core Set 2020 features a mix of new and reprinted cards. The set contains 280 cards (20 basic land, 112 common, 80 uncommon, 53 rare, and 15 mythic rare) and includes randomly inserted premium versions of all cards. 1:45 cards are foil, instead of the usual 1:67. A unique Buy-a-Box promotional card numbered #281/280 is also considered to be part of the set. 63 additional cards are found in the set's planeswalker decks (#282/280 to #301/280) and Spellslinger Starter Kit (#302/280 to #344/280). Core Set 2020 introduced full-art tokens.
Chandra Nalaar is the face of Core Set 2020 card set, and is represented by three different planeswalker cards in different rarities and depicting several facets in her life. A fourth planeswalker card is included in the Chandra Planeswalker Deck.
Rules change[edit | edit source]
Starting with tabletop Core Set 2020 Preleases on July 5, the London mulligan will be used for all play. It will become officially reflected in the Comprehensive Rules with the M20 rules updates on July 12. To take this mulligan, a player shuffles the cards in their hand back into their library, draws a new hand of cards equal to their starting hand size, then puts a number of those cards equal to the number of times that player has taken a mulligan on the bottom of their library in any order.
Storyline[edit | edit source]
Marketing[edit | edit source]
Core Set 2020 is sold in 16-card boosters (one card being a marketing card), mono-colored theme boosters, five welcome decks, five planeswalker decks, the Core 2020 bundle, a Deck Builder's Toolkit, a Spellslinger Starter Kit and a Land Station. The bundle for the first time contains a alternate art foil promo card and an oversized spindown life counter. It also contains 20 foil lands. The boosters feature key art from three planeswalkers (Ajani, Mu Yanling and Sorin Markov that also featured on the Planeswalker decks and Welcome decks.
Like with its predecessor, the Welcome decks, Planeswalker decks and Deck Builder's Toolkit are strongly integrated, which allows for an easier transition between the products. The Spellslinger Starter Kit is now also part of the line up. Throughout the product line the colors have a central theme: Lifegain, Flying, Vampires, Direct damage and Big Monsters/Pump.
Events[edit | edit source]
- Magic Open House: June 29–30, 2019
- Prerelease: July 5–7, 2019
- Magic Arena: July 2, 2019
- Draft Weekend: July 13–14, 2019
- Commander Weekend: August 24–25, 2019. This season's Magic Weekend coincides with the release of Commander 2019. Commander Weekend will feature Commander variants recommended by Magic's design studio, with achievement cards.
- There is no Standard Showdown planned for this set.
Promotional cards[edit | edit source]
- Prerelease: a stamped card that can be any rare or mythic rare of Core Set 2020.
- Buy-a-Box: Rienne, Angel of Rebirth
- Core Set 2020 introduces the universal promo pack, the contents of which are distributed at the discretion of the stores. This contains:
- a promo-stamped rare or mythic rare from Core Set 2020 .
- a promo-stamped rare or mythic rare from a short, curated list. Standard-legal.
- an alternate art basic land.
- One of five special, season-specific cards with FNM alternate card frame: Corpse Knight, Negate, Disfigure, Flame Sweep or Thrashing Brontodon.
- 1:4 promo packs includes all foil contents (clearly identifiable from the packaging).
- Core Set 2020 Bundle promo: foil alternate art Chandra's Regulator
- Convention promo: full-art Nightpack Ambusher
Tokens and emblems[edit | edit source]
- 2/2 Cat Soldier creature named Ajani's Pridemate with "Whenever you gain life, put a +1/+1 counter on Ajani's Pridemate," for Ajani, Strength of the Pride.
- 1/1 Soldier creature, for Ancestral Blade, Ironroot Warlord, Raise the Alarm, and Skyknight Vanguard.
- 1/1 Spirit creature with flying, for Bishop of Wings, Hanged Executioner, and Kykar, Wind's Fury.
- 4/4 Elemental Bird creature with flying, for Mu Yanling, Sky Dancer.
- 5/5 Demon creature with flying, for Bloodsoaked Altar.
- 2/2 Zombie creature, for Boneclad Necromancer, Field of the Dead, and Undead Servant.
- 1/1 Elemental creature, for Chandra, Acolyte of Flame, Mask of Immolation and Scampering Scorcher.
- 2/2 Wolf creature, for Ferocious Pup, Howling Giant, Nightpack Ambusher, Wolfkin Bond, and Wolfrider's Saddle.
- 3/3 Golem artifact creature, for Cavalier of Dawn, Master Splicer, and Masterful Replication.
- Treasure, for Rapacious Dragon.
- Emblem for Chandra, Awakened Inferno
- Emblem for Mu Yanling, Sky Dancer
Themes and mechanics[edit | edit source]
- : Go Wide
- : Flying Creatures
- : Control with "Enters-the-Battlefield" Effects
- : Aggro
- : Elemental Creatures
The enemy colored signposts connecting the two archetypes which they are part of:
- : Corpse Knight (Going Wide does Aggro damage)
- : Lightning Stormkin (Flying Elemental)
- : Moldervine Reclamation (Going Wide enables Control)
- : Skyknight Vanguard (Flying Aggro)
- : Risen Reef (Elemental with "Enters-the-Battlefield" Effect)
There are also mono-colored signposts, which connect the three archetypes they are part of:
- : Herald of the Sun (Go wide, Flying, and Aggro)
- : Waterkin Shaman (Flying, Enters-the-Battlefield Effects, and Elementals)
- : Gruesome Scourger (Go Wide, Enters-the-Battlefield Effects, and Aggro)
- : Chandra's spitfire (Flying, Aggro, and Elementals)
- : Overgrowth Elemental (Go Wide, Enters-the-Battlefield Effects, and Elementals)
Ancestral Blade, Mask of Immolation and Wolfrider's Saddle are Equipment that create a token upon entering the battlefield and attach directly to it, in an implementation of the Living weapon mechanic.
Cycles[edit | edit source]
Dual cycle[edit | edit source]
|Life-gain taplands||Tranquil Cove||Dismal Backwater||Bloodfell Caves||Rugged Highlands||Blossoming Sands||Scoured Barrens||Swiftwater Cliffs||Jungle Hollow||Wind-Scarred Crag||Thornwood Falls|
|Description and notes: Ten common lands that enter the battlefield tapped, gain the controller one life, and can tap for 2 different colors of mana. Reprinted from Khans of Tarkir and Fate Reforged.|
Vertical cycle[edit | edit source]
|Cycle name||Description and notes|
|Chandra||Depicting Chandra Nalaar in various stages of her life.||Chandra, Novice Pyromancer||Chandra, Acolyte of Flame||Chandra, Awakened Inferno|
Precon only[edit | edit source]
|Cycle name||Description and notes|
|Planeswalkers||Five planeswalker variants with simpler abilities, each of which cost MM and is included in the Planeswalker decks for M20.||Ajani, Inspiring Leader||Mu Yanling, Celestial Wind||Sorin, Vampire Lord||Chandra, Flame's Fury||Vivien, Nature's Avenger|
|Planeswalkers' Tutor||Five rare Spells, each of which cost MM,everyone of those has an effect and also tutors for the specific planeswalker.||Goldmane Griffin||Yanling's Harbinger||Sorin's Guide||Chandra's Flame Wave||Ethereal Elk|
|"3 off" creatures||Five uncommon creatures that appear in 3 copies in the Planeswalker deck.||Twinblade Paladin||Waterkin Shaman||Thirsting Bloodlord||Pyroclastic Elemental||Gnarlback Rhino|
|"4 off" creatures||Five common creature that appear in 4 copies in the Planeswalker deck.||Savannah Sage||Celestial Messenger||Savage Gorger||Wildfire Elemental||Vivien's Crocodile|
|Welcome Deck Rares||Five rare creatures that are only included in the Welcome Decks and Planeswalker Decks.||Serra's Guardian||Riddlemaster Sphinx||Gravewaker||Shivan Dragon||Aggressive Mammoth|
Notable cards[edit | edit source]
- Bag of Holding is a Dungeons & Dragons crossover.
- Ripscale Predator is printed as a Dinosaur for the first time after being originally printed as a Lizard in Gatecrash, and the oracle change in the Ixalan update.
Misprint[edit | edit source]
Changes[edit | edit source]
Card comparisons[edit | edit source]
Preconstructed decks[edit | edit source]
Welcome decks[edit | edit source]
|Colors included||Iconic card|
|White deck||W||Serra's Guardian|
|Blue deck||U||Riddlemaster Sphinx|
|Red deck||R||Shivan Dragon|
|Green deck||G||Aggressive Mammoth|
Spellslinger Starter Kit[edit | edit source]
The Spellslinger Starter Kit comes with two Standard-legal 60-card decks, designed to create an interactive learning experience for two.
Planeswalker decks[edit | edit source]
|Ajani||W||Ajani, Inspiring Leader|
|Yanling||U||Mu Yanling, Celestial Wind|
|Sorin||B||Sorin, Vampire Lord|
|Chandra||R||Chandra, Flame's Fury|
|Vivien||G||Vivien, Nature's Avenger|
References[edit | edit source]
- Wizards of the Coast (June, 2019). "Core Set 2020 Credits". Magicthegathering.com.
- Mark Rosewater (June 18, 2019). "Did R&D change their mind on protection being removed from evergreen?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Printed on the cards
- Blake Rasmussen (February 21, 2019). "Announcing Core Set 2020 and Commander (2019 Edition)". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- M20: 15 Changes Every Retailer Should Know. Wizards Play Network (June 13, 2019).
- Wizards of the Coast (June 25, 2019). "Core Set 2020 RElease Notes". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Chris Gleeson (June 20, 2019). "The Tokens of Core Set 2020". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- James Whitbrook (June 11, 2019). "Get to Know Magic's Most Famous Fire Mage in These Brand New Cards". Io9.gizmodo.com.
- Magic: The Gathering (June 11, 2019). "Chandra is the only Planeswalker in M20 getting an uncommon and rare card - she's the face of the set and her journey is all over M20.". Twitter.
- Ian Duke (June 3, 2019). "The London Mulligan". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (June 17, 2019). "Core to the Point". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- WPN info
- WPN (June 26, 2019). "Getting New Players Into Magic is Easier Than Ever". Wizards Play Network.
- WPN (June 26, 2019). "Mark Heggen: R&D's Plan to Make New Magic Players". Wizards Play Network.
- 5 "Firsts" Coming With M20. Wizards Play Network (April 29, 2019).
- Chris Gleeson (June 17, 2019). "Core Set 2020 Promos and Packaging". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Nelson Brown (March 12, 2019). "Introducing the New Wizards Play Network". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (June 17, 2019). "Magic Promo Pack Info". Magic.Wizards.com.
- Wizards of the Coast (April 22, 2019). "Japanese Alternate-Art Planeswalkers". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- 2019 Convention Promo - Nightpack Ambusher. Reddit (July 20, 2019).
- Mark Rosewater (June 18, 2019). "Protection is back? i mean, i love that, but how come?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (June 24, 2019). "Core Than Meets The Eye". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Gavin Verhey (June 18, 2019). "When Core and Commander Combine". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Andrew Brown (June 21, 2019). "Fire It Up". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (July 5, 2019). "The MTGM20 card Corpse Knight has a print error in some regional printings.". Twitter.
- Gavin Verhey (2019-02-05). "State of Product Design 2018". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater (July 1, 2019). "What Core Can I Say? - Part 1". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (July 8, 2019). "What Core Can I Say? - Part 2". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.