Conspiracy: Take the Crown
|Conspiracy: Take the Crown|
|Symbol description||Marchesa's Seal, The Black Rose|
Shawn Main (lead)|
Ben Hayes (lead)|
|Art direction||Jeremy Jarvis|
|Release date||August 26, 2016|
|Conspiracies, Draft ability cards, the Monarch|
or ability words
|Hidden agenda, Double agenda, Melee, Goad, Council's dilemma, Monstrous, Cycling|
|Set size||221 cards (80 new)|
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
Conspiracy: Take the Crown is a booster-based set designed for Conspiracy Draft. It was released in August 2016 as the second of three supplemental sets that were released in the summer of 2016.
- 1 Set details
- 2 Themes and mechanics
- 3 Cycles
- 4 Changes in rarity
- 5 Misprint
- 6 Notable cards
- 7 References
Set details[edit | edit source]
|“||You Stab My Back And I'll Stab Yours||”|
Conspiracy: Take the Crown followed up on the original Conspiracy set from 2014 and introduced new cards that affect the draft itself as well as new Conspiracies. It is designed for eight-player drafts followed by free-for-all games of three to five players each. The set contains 221 cards (90 common, 67 uncommon, 50 rare, and 14 mythic rare). Eighty cards (including 12 Conspiracies) are new cards with mechanics that enhance multiplayer play, and the other part features reprints. The planeswalker card Kaya, Ghost Assassin has alternate art in foil, with the foil having the collector number 222/221. The new cards are not legal for play in the Standard or Modern formats.
The set is printed in English, Japanese and Chinese Simplified. It was not released on Magic Online. North American mass-market stores sold new Draft Packs for this set. The Draft Pack features three Booster Packs. 
Flavor[edit | edit source]
Brago, the King Eternal ruled the High City of Paliano on the plane of Fiora. When he died, the priesthood — the Custodi — kept his spirit as a figurehead and were able to retain their command for a while. However, The Black Rose confiscated the throne after Brago's spirit was eliminated by the planeswalker Kaya. Nobody knows how long she will last.
Magic Story[edit | edit source]
|Title||Author||Release Date||Setting (plane)||Featuring|
|Laid to Rest||Kelly Digges||2016-08-03||Fiora||Kaya and Emilio Revari|
|Tyrants||Alison Luhrs||2016-08-10||Fiora||Adriana, Selvala, Marchesa, Kaya|
|Proclamation by Queen Marchesa||Kelly Digges||2016-08-15||Fiora||Marchesa|
|Proclamation by Adriana, Captain of the Guard||Kelly Digges||2016-08-16||Fiora||Adriana|
|Bloody Instructions||Shawn Main and Mel Li||2016-08-17||Fiora||Daretti and Grenzo|
|Leovold's Dossiers||Nik Davidson||2016-08-24||Fiora||Leovold, Selvala, Adriana, Marchesa, Grenzo|
Marketing[edit | edit source]
The set was initially announced as Conspiracy: The Reign of Brago. However, the day immediately after the initial set announcement, official twitter announced The Reign of Brago would not be the set name, along with a picture showing the apparent assassination of Brago's spirit. The set was renamed on February 24 to The Empty Throne to reflect this plot twist. Also the number of cards was reduced from 221 to 220 (Brago's spirit was eliminated, so clearly there would be one less card) and the quote was changed from “Long May He Reign” to “The King Is Dead, Long Live the King”.
Two days later the title was changed one final time, along with the reveal of the set symbol. The card count for Conspiracy: Take the Crown was now up to 221 again with the new queen added. The slogan was also changed, this time to “You Stab My Back And I'll Stab Yours”.
Hidden message[edit | edit source]
On the back frame of every token of Eternal Masters, the previous booster set, appeared some seemingly random and mysterious lines of text. These were part of a teaser puzzle. If the tokens were lined up in the right order, the text on the top and bottom of the tokens provided a proclamation by her majesty Queen Marchesa, the Black Rose, first of her name. The text on the sides of tokens provided a revolutionary speech by Captain Adriana. Marchesa's proclamation was later published on the Magic website, as was Adriana's response.
Tokens[edit | edit source]
- The Monarch
- 1/1 Soldier for Lieutenants of the Guard and Raise the Alarm
- 1/2 Soldier with defender for Hold the Perimeter
- 1/1 Spirit with flying for Doomed Traveler
- 1/1 Assassin with deathtouch and haste for Queen Marchesa
- 2/2 Zombie for Assemble the Rank and Vile
- 1/1 Goblin with “This creature can't block” for Hold the Perimeter
- 5/5 Dragon with flying for Skyline Despot
- 8/8 Lizard for Subterranean Tremors
- 3/3 Beast for Beast Within
- 1/1 Insect for Dragonlair Spider
- 1/1 Construct artifact with defender for Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast
Themes and mechanics[edit | edit source]monarch is a new designation that a player may have during the game. Only one player at a time can be the monarch and has the following ability: "At the beginning of the monarch's end step, that player draws a card." Secondly, several cards in the set get better if you're the monarch. A mistake realized only after printing, The Monarch marker reads "At the beginning your end step, draw a card." with the "of" missing.
Hidden agenda is carried over from Conspiracy. Conspiracies with hidden agenda have you secretly name a card before the game begins. Any time you have priority during the game, you can turn the conspiracy face up and reveal the chosen name and what bonus the conspiracy provides.
Creatures with Monstrosity earlier appeared in the Theros block and Commander 2015. Upon paying the activation cost, if the creature isn't "monstrous" already, a certain number of +1/+1 counters is put on the creature and it becomes "monstrous". Usually this is accompanied by a triggered ability when the creature becomes "monstrous".
- Double agenda, a keyword ability that works much like hidden agenda, but allows you to name two cards instead of one.
- Melee, a keyword ability that gives a creature +1/+1 whenever it attacks until end of turn for each opponent you attacked with a creature this combat.
- Goad, a keyword action that forces creatures to attack a player other than you if able.
- Council's dilemma, an ability word that allows you to vote, which is similar to will of the council. Every vote will add to the overall effect (not only the majority).
Card types[edit | edit source]
- The conspiracy card type is carried over from Conspiracy. Conspiracies are put into the command zone before the game begins. Unlike the earlier conspiracies, some conspiracies from CN2 are colored.
- Kaya is a new planeswalker type.
Card frame[edit | edit source]
Conspiracies and draft ability cards have a special circular pattern card frame.
Cycles[edit | edit source]
Conspiracy: Take the Crown has seven cycles:
- Colored conspiracies: Colored common conspiracies with the hidden agenda keyword: Adriana's Valor (), Hired Heist (), Assemble the Rank and Vile (), Incendiary Dissent (), Natural Unity ()
- Rare monarchy creatures: These rare creatures make their controller the monarch upon entering the battlefield and either provide a bonus if the player is the monarch or help their controller retain their status as monarch: Protector of the Crown (), Keeper of Keys (), Custodi Lich (), Skyline Despot (), Regal Behemoth ()
- Two-colored draft archetypes: Ten uncommon cards which each represent a two-colored draft archetype: Ascended Lawmage (), Knights of the Black Rose (), Shipwreck Singer (), Stormchaser Chimera (), Carnage Gladiator (), Pharika's Mender (), Akroan Hoplite () , Gruul War Chant (), Juniper Order Ranger (), Coiling Oracle ()
- Landcycler spells: Five common spells, originally printed in Conflux, each of which can be cycled away for M for a basic land. — Gleam of Resistance (), Traumatic Visions (), Absorb Vis (), Fiery Fall (), Sylvan Bounty ()
Draft Ability Cycles[edit | edit source]
There are three draft ability card cycles, one for each rarity besides mythic:
- Common: Custodi Peacekeeper (), Illusionary Informant (), Regicide (), Garbage Fire (), Leovold's Operative ()
- Uncommon: Noble Banneret (), Spire Phantasm (), Smuggler Captain (), Pyretic Hunter (), Animus of Predation ()
- Rare: Paliano Vanguard (), Arcane Savant (), Archdemon of Paliano (), Volatile Chimera (), Caller of the Untamed ()
Changes in rarity[edit | edit source]
Common to Uncommon[edit | edit source]
Uncommon to Rare[edit | edit source]
Uncommon to Mythic[edit | edit source]
Rare to Uncommon[edit | edit source]
Rare to Mythic[edit | edit source]
Mythic to Rare[edit | edit source]
Misprint[edit | edit source]
Notable cards[edit | edit source]
- Leovold, Emissary of Trest — so powerful he was banned within commander. Also sees play in Legacy, mostly in BUG Control.
- Recruiter of the Guard — a powerful creature tutor similar to Imperial Recruiter from Portal Three Kingdoms.
- Kaya, Ghost Assassin — a planeswalker with a unique method of gaining loyalty counters, "blinking" herself for a turn and returning to the battlefield.
- Palace Jailer — sees play in Death and Taxes because of its ability to repeatedly exile creatures with the help of a flicker effect, in addition to the monarch bonus.
- Sanctum Prelate — sees play in Legacy, mostly in Death and Taxes, because of its similarities to Chalice of the Void from Mirrodin.
- Palace Sentinels — created a new midrange deck in Pauper, Boros Monarch, resulting one of the format tier.
References[edit | edit source]
- Product info
- Printed on the card frame.
- Wizards of the Coast. (February 26, 2016.) “Announcing Conspiracy: Take the Crown”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (February 22, 2016.) "We're getting three supplementals this year; Con2, Eternal Masters and Commander - is this the norm for the future?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Wizards of the Coast. (August 22, 2016.) “Conspiracy: Take the Crown Release Notes”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast. (May 16, 2016 .) “Announcement Day”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast. (February 22, 2016.) “Announcing Conspiracy: The Reign of Brago”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast. (deleted)
- Wizards of the Coast. (February 22, 2016.) Announcing CONSPIRACY: REIGN OF BRAGO. Return to Paliano in this multiplayer draft set! Official Magic: the Gathering twitter account.
- Wizards of the Coast. (February 23, 2016.) BREAKING NEWS: Due to unforeseen circumstances, Brago will not be making an appearance in our new Conspiracy set. Official Magic: the Gathering twitter account.
- Wizards of the Coast. (February 24, 2016.) “Announcing Conspiracy: The Empty Throne”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast. (deleted)
- Wizards of the Coast. (February 24, 2016.) Paliano is in chaos after Brago's death. Announcing CONSPIRACY: THE EMPTY THRONE Official Magic: the Gathering twitter account.
- Wizards of the Coast. (February 25, 2016.) Powers within Paliano have set their sights on the vacant Paliano throne. More updates to follow tomorrow. Official Magic: the Gathering twitter account.
- Wizards of the Coast. (February 26, 2016.) This time we’re 100% serious. Announcing CONSPIRACY: TAKE THE CROWN. Official Magic: the Gathering twitter account.
- News on the Net. (July 14, 2016.) "Someone Just Solved The Eternal Masters Conspiracy 2 Token Mystery (And That’s A Lot Of Tokens)", manaleak.com
- Kelly Digges. (August 15, 2016.) “Proclamation by Queen Marchesa”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Kelly Digges. (August 16, 2016.) “Proclamation by Adriana, Captain of the Guard”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen. (August 2, 2016.) “The August 22, 2016 Update”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (August 15, 2016.) “It's Another Conspiracy”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Shawn Main. (August 15, 2016.) “The Heart of a Conspiracy”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Tabak. (August 15, 2016.) “Conspiracy: Take the Crown Mechanics”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Ben Hayes. (August 16, 2016.) “Developing Conspiracy: Take the Crown”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (August 15, 2016.) "Does the monarch token have a typo?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (August 21, 2016.) "The image for the Monarch token is mis-printed.", Blogatog, Tumblr.