|This article documents an upcoming release.|
|Symbol description||a shield, with elements of the original Legends symbol and the legendary card frame.|
Gavin Verhey (lead)|
|Development||Jules Robins (lead)|
|Art direction||Dawn Murin|
|Release date||November 20, 2020|
|Themes and mechanics||Legendary|
|Keywords/ability words||Partner, cascade, monarch|
|Set size||361 + 361|
|Magic: The Gathering Chronology|
Commander Legends is the first-ever Magic: The Gathering Commander set that is designed to be drafted. It is the Innovation product for 2020, and will be released on November 20, 2020. Due to production delays, the release date of this set was pushed back from November 6 to November 20.
- 1 Set details
- 2 Themes and mechanics
- 3 Cycles
- 4 Preconstructed decks
- 5 Changes in rarity
- 6 Notable cards
- 7 References
|“||Booster Draft meets Commander||”|
Commander Legends is larger than a normal set, with both oft-asked-for Commander reprints and new cards. There are 165 new cards, including 71 legendary creatures and planeswalkers. The cards are legal in Eternal formats like Legacy, Vintage, and Commander. The set contains 361 regular cards (1 special) and includes randomly inserted premium versions of all cards. There are no basic lands. The set introduces "foil-etched" cards, which use a brand-new foiling process that looks different from previous foils and have a special card frame. 32 popular legendary creatures reprints exclusively appear into this frame. Foil-etched cards appear in both Draft and Collector Boosters. Cards with alternate card frames have another collector number than the original version. Extended artwork cards are numbered #TBA-TBA, and foil-etched cards are numbered #TBA-TBA. Both regular and foil versions of these cards may be found in the Collector Boosters. The Buy-a-Box is #721 and the prerelease promo is #722.
Commander Legends draft uses three draft boosters per player. For every pick, players take two cards at a time. This is done for coherency of the decks and for speed. After the draft, players build a 60-card deck — much like how a traditional deck of Magic is 60 cards and a traditional draft is 40, here it's 60 to Commander's 100. All other Commander rules apply with one exception. You can play more than one copy of a card if you draft it: the Singleton rule does not apply. It doesn't happen very often with 3 packs and 20 cards given the set size, but duplicates are allowed.
The set features many known planes and characters as well as new ones. These cards can be from anywhere in space and time in the Multiverse: from Lorwyn to Alara, from the tales of the original Weatherlight Crew to present day.
Commander Legends is sold in 20-card booster packs, with a foil and two legendary creatures in every single pack. A 21st card is a Marketing card. The set is available in English, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, German, French, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, and Spanish. The cards will also be sold in 15-card Collector Boosters. Booster boxes contain 24 booster packs. The Draft Boosters feature Jeska key art; the Collector Boosters feature art from Prossh, Skyraider of Kher.
The set is not a fixed print run, and thus will be printed on demand. Boosters are more expensive than normal booster products, but less expensive than Masters series product boosters. Booster boxes are being sold for around $125 US.
- Prerelease: alternate art Sengir, the Dark Baron by Pete Venters.
- Buy-a-Box: foil alternate art Mana Confluence.
Tokens, markers and emblems
- 1/1 Soldier creature, for Keeper of the Accord.
- 1/1 Spirit creature with flying.
- 0/1 Thrull creature, for Tevesh Szat, Doom of Fools.
- 2/2 Zombie creature.
- 2/2 Dragon creature with flying and ": This creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn."
- 0/1 Kobold creature named Kobolds of Kher Keep, for Prossh, Skyraider of Kher.
- 1/1 Elf Warrior creature, for Eyeblight Clubber.
- 3/3 Golem artifact creature.
- Treasure, for Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator and Sailor of Means.
- The Monarch marker, for cards with monarch.
Themes and mechanics
The set of course features many legendary creatures and planeswalkers to use as commanders, some of which are uncommon. There is also one legendary creature (The Prismatic Piper) that is printed at the new "special" rarity, replacing a common in about 1 in 6 draft packs.
- Encore is the new mechanic, appearing only on nonlegendary creatures. You can pay a creature's encore cost and exile it from your graveyard to create a number of token copies of it equal to your number of opponents. Each of those tokens has haste, must attack either that player or a planeswalker they control, and is sacrificed during the end step.
- Partner is the first returning mechanic. To facilitate deckbuilding, the set features 40 monocolor partners (and one colorless partner). A player may have two commanders if each of them has the partner keyword. The two partners together provide a 2-color color identity for the deck. The Prismatic Piper is intended to be used as a failsafe, providing an additional color for a deck when the player isn't able to draft the right commanders.
- Monarch returns from Conspiracy: Take the Crown, to facilitate multiplayer play. Only one player at a time can designated the monarch. It has the following ability: "At the beginning of the monarch's end step, that player draws a card."
- Cascade is the last returning mechanic, originally printed in Alara Reborn. When a spell with Cascade is cast, its controller reveals cards from the top of their library until they finds a nonland card that costs less than the card with Cascade. They may then play it without paying its mana cost.
Commander Legends features the following limited archetypes:
- : Pirate tribal
Commander Legends has at least three cycles.
|Familiars||Esior, ____’s Familiar||Kediss, ____’s Familiar||Anara, Wolfish Familiar|
|Five uncommon legendary creatures with partner. Each has an ability that affects Commanders you control.|
|Vows||Vow of Duty||Vow of Flight||Vow of Malice||Vow of Lightning||Vow of Wildness|
|Five uncommon Auras that give a creature a power/toughness bonus, an evergreen keyword, and stops it from attacking the controller of the aura or a planeswalker that player controls. First printed in Commander.|
|Crowd lands||Vault of Champions||Training Center||Undergrowth Stadium||Spectator Seating||Rejuvenating Springs|
|Five rare dual lands that enter the battlefield tapped unless you have two or more opponents, completing a cycle started in Battlebond.|
Commander Legends also features two preconstructed Commander decks that are released as a regular part of a set's product line. These are meant to be on-ramps to Commander, with a few new cards (three per deck) and the rest reprints. The new cards can't be found in Draft Boosters. The expansion code for these is CMC.
Changes in rarity
Rare to mythic rare
Common to uncommon
Uncommon to common
- The green card that completes the Magus Megacycle.
- The Prismatic Piper — a Pauper Commander and the first card with the "special" rarity. It is a essentially a "basic" Commander. Like basic lands, it is always available to you, whether you drafted it or not.
First time foil
- Gavin Verhey (October 30, 2019). "Big Things Are Coming for Commander in 2020". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Gavin Verhey (April 22, 2020). "Can you match these 12 Magic products correctly with the codename?". Twitter.
- Mark Rosewater (October 30, 2019). "Is it the "innovation product" for Magic in 2020?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- WPN (August 17, 2020). "Double Your Commander Legends Prerelease Promos". Wizards Play Network.
- Gavin Verhey (August 22, 2020). "A Sneak Peek at Commander Legends". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (September 9, 2020). "Production Updates". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (October 2, 2020). "Commander Legends Global Release Date Moved to November 20, 2020". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Gavin Verhey (August 22, 2020). "Immediately realized I wanted to share one more thing that's been a popular ask.". Twitter.
- Gavin Verhey (August 22, 2020). "When drafting, it's a big mental tax on an already complicated format to keep in mind the off-chance you might grab an illegal duplicate.". Twitter.
- Gavin Verhey (August 22, 2020). "Like Modern Horizons, Commander Legends is NOT a fixed print run!". Twitter.
- WPN (August 24, 2020). "Commander Legends: Common Questions & 1st Preview Cards". Wizards Play Network.
- New Commander Legends spoilers from an eBay listing. Reddit.
- Gavin Verhey (October 16, 2020). "Six New Hints About Commander Legends!". Reddit.
- A Card You'll Find in Commander Legends (And Answering More Questions!) (Video). Good Morning Magic. YouTube (May 22, 2020).
- Gavin Verhey (August 22, 2020). "Prismatic Piper for Pauper Variant!". Twitter.
- Gavin Verhey (August 22, 2020). "The Prismatic Piper is a essentially a "basic" Commander.". Twitter.