|Symbol description||A shield parted per bend|
Ethan Fleischer (lead)|
Glenn Jones (lead)|
|Release date||August 23, 2019|
or ability words
|populate, flashback, morph, madness.|
|Set size||Four 100-card decks|
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
Set details[edit | edit source]
Commander 2019 consists of four preconstructed theme decks, and features twelve premium foil commanders. The four 100-card decks contain 302 different cards in total. There are 59 new cards legal in Vintage and Legacy. The set is available in English, Japanese, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese, and Russian. Each deck comes with a deck box, 10 double-faced token cards, a strategy insert and a rules reference guide. Each deck also comes with an oversized premium card that corresponds to the face commander of that deck. The basic lands of the set use the panorama art by Alayna Danner that was first used for the Core Set 2019 Standard Showdown.
There is no pattern of colors between the decks. The themes are:
- Faceless Menace (, Morph)
- Mystic Intellect (, Flashback)
- Primal Genesis (, Populate)
- Merciless Rage (, Madness)
Marketing[edit | edit source]
A special Sol Ring Commander promo (foil and non-foil) with new art by Mark Tedin was released at Grand Prix Las Vegas, prior to the release of Commander 2019. It will be available through Commander events at MagicFests throughout the year, and at select conventions in 2020.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
The European Distributor Blackfire accidently posted the information that each deck had a returning keyword ability as its main theme. The four featured abilities are populate, flashback, morph (including manifest and megamorph), and madness. This was later confirmed in the Magic panel at Gen Con 2019.
Other returning non-evergreen mechanics on new cards:
- Entwine, first seen in Mirrodin — Road of Return
- Enrage, first seen in Ixalan — Apex Altisaur
- Goad, first seen in Conspiracy: Take the Crown — Bloodthirsty Blade and Marisi, Breaker of the Coil
- Phyrexian mana, first seen in New Phyrexia — K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth
- Prowess, first seen in in Khans of Tarkir and formerly evergreen — Elsha of the Infinite
- Split second, first seen in Time Spiral — Sudden Substitution
Card types[edit | edit source]
Cycles[edit | edit source]
Commander 2019 has five cycles, four of which only consist of four cards and one of which consists of six cards.
- Mechanic commanders: Four mythic rare legendary creatures, each of which interact with a different card mechanic — Ghired, Conclave Exile (), Anje Falkenrath (), Sevinne, the Chronoclasm (), and Kadena, Slinking Sorcerer ().
- Signature spells: Four rare spells featuring the marquee commanders and their signature mechanic — Sevinne's Reclamation (), Kadena's Silencer (), Anje's Ravager (), and Ghired's Belligerence ().
- Secondary commanders: Four rare legendary creatures, each of which is missing one of the colors of the deck in which they are printed, and thus can't be substituted in as commander right out of the box — Gerrard, Weatherlight Hero (), Grismold, the Dreadsower (), K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth (), and Tahngarth, First Mate ().
- Uncommon utility spells: Six uncommon monocolored spells printed specifically for the Commander format. Each is included in two of the four decks — Cliffside Rescuer (), Leadership Vacuum (), Mire in Misery (), Hate Mirage (), Voice of Many (), and Bloodthirsty Blade ().
- Reprinted planeswalkers:. Each deck contained one reprinted planeswalker — Vraska the Unseen (), Ral Zarek (), Garruk, Primal Hunter (), and Ob Nixilis Reignited ().
Preconstructed decks[edit | edit source]
|Faceless Menace||U||B||G||Kadena, Slinking Sorcerer|
|Mystic Intellect||W||U||R||Sevinne, the Chronoclasm|
|Primal Genesis||W||R||G||Ghired, Conclave Exile|
|Merciless Rage||B||R||Anje Falkenrath|
Tokens, overlay cards and emblem[edit | edit source]
- 3/4 Bird with flying for Wingmate Roc.
- 3/3 Bird with flying for Roc Egg.
- 1/1 Human for Increasing Devotion.
- 1/1 Pegasus with flying for Storm Herd.
- 1/1 Spirit with flying for Thalia's Geistcaller.
- 3/4 Angel Zombie with flying. Embalmed token for Angel of Sanctions.
- 4/3 Manticore Zombie. Embalmed token for Heart-Piercer Manticore.
- 2/2 Drake token with flying for Talrand, Sky Summoner.
- 1/1 Assassin with “Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, that player loses the game,” for Vraska the Unseen
- 2/2 Zombie for Bone Miser, From Under the Floorboards, Overseer of the Damned and Zombie Infestation.
- 2/2 Zombie
- 5/5 Dragon with flying for Dragonmaster Outcast.
- 4/4 Beast for Rampaging Baloths.
- 3/3 Beast for Beast Within, Fresh Meat, Garruk, Primal Hunter, Soul of Zendikar and Thragtusk.
- 3/3 Centaur for Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage.
- 0/1 Egg with defender for Atla Palani, Nest Tender.
- 1/1 Plant for Grismold, the Dreadsower.
- 4/4 Rhino with trample for Ghired, Conclave Exile.
- 1/1 Saproling for Thelonite Hermit.
- 1/1 Snake for Hooded Hydra.
- 6/6 Wurm for Garruk, Primal Hunter.
- 3/4 Gargoyle with flying for Gargoyle Castle.
- X/X Horror for Phyrexian Rebirth.
- */* Sculpture with “This creature’s power and toughness are each equal to the number of Sculptures you control,” for Doomed Artisan.
- Treasure for Dockside Extortionist.
- 10/10 Eldrazi for Desolation Twin and Idol of Oblivion.
- 2/2 overlay card for morph.
- 2/2 overlay card for manifest.
- Emblem for Ob Nixilis, Reignited.
Notable cards[edit | edit source]
- Bone Miser — Inverted Waste Not on a stick.
- Gift of Doom — the first "Auramorph."
- Mire in Misery — first enchantment removal for black.
- Pramikon, Sky Rampart — first legendary wall
- Rayami, First of the Fallen — first vampire with green in its cost.
Basic land panorama[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Wizards of the Coast. "Commander 2019 Credits". Magicthegathering.com.
- Mark Rosewater (August 09, 2019). "Who was on Vision Design with Ethan?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Glenn Jones (August 9, 2019). "Commander (2019 Edition) Design Philosophy". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Printed on the cards
- Blake Rasmussen (February 21, 2019). "Announcing Core Set 2020 and Commander (2019 Edition)". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (August 5, 2019). "The Decks of Commander (2019 Edition)". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (August 9, 2019). "Commander (2019 Edition) Release Notes". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Donny Caltrider (August 6, 2019). "Commander 2019 Previews: Far From Basic". Hipsters of the Coast.
- David McCoy (August 1, 2019). "All 4 Commanders from Commander 2019 Revealed at Gencon". Hipsters of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (August 5, 2019). "Need I Say Morph". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Gavin Verhey (July 1, 2019). "Did y'all see this sweet new Sol Ring promo". Twitter.
- Gavin Verhey (July 30, 2019). "The Sol of Commander". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Lord Bunilla (July 17, 2019). "Themes for C19". Reddit.
- Chris Gleeson (August 8, 2019). "The Tokens of Commander (2019 Edition)". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (August 8, 2019). "This character might look a little familiar... because you all helped make him!". Twitter.
- Mark Rosewater (August 08, 2019). "This is the black enchantment removal you've been hinting at right?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (August 08, 2019). "I'm not getting the flavor of Mire in Misery.". Blogatog. Tumblr.