|Symbol description||A split shield|
Dan Emmons (lead)|
Ben Hayes (lead)|
with contributions from Matt Tabak
|Art direction||Jeremy Jarvis|
|Release date||November 13, 2015|
Enemy colored commanders,|
or ability words
|Constellation, Devour, Living weapon, Monstrosity, Myriad, Overload|
|Set size||Five bicolored 100-card decks|
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
Set details[edit | edit source]
|“||Many will play, one will rise.||”|
Commander 2015 features five enemy colored 100-card decks (342 different cards). There are 56 new cards legal in Vintage and Legacy. Each of the five preconstructed decks comes with one oversized foil Commander card, 10 double-faced tokens, a deck storage box, a strategy insert, a rules reference card and 15 new cards.
Each preconstructed deck was designed with a primary theme and a secondary theme. The main new commander in the deck matches the primary theme, while the alternate new commander matches the secondary theme. For instance, the white/black deck, Call the Spirits, has a primary enchantments theme supported by Daxos the Returned and a secondary lifegain theme supported by Karlov of the Ghost Council.
Magic Story[edit | edit source]
|Title||Author||Release Date||Setting (plane)||Featuring|
|All the Cairns of Jund||Michael Yichao||2015-11-04||Alara||Meren|
|Family Values||Alison Luhrs||2015-11-11||Ravnica||Teysa, Tajic, Karlov of the Ghost Council|
Magic Online[edit | edit source]
The preconstructed decks were not sold in the MTGO store. Instead, the Legendary Cube event awarded Prize Packs that contained six cards from a selection of the 56 new cards from Commander 2015 and 93 other cards from older Commander, Conspiracy, and Planechase sets. These Prize Packs were the only way for Magic Online players to obtain the new Commander 2015 cards.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
Commander 2015 introduced Experience counters, player counters that will make your Commander grow in power during the course of each game. Each game pack includes a card labeled "Experience" with the suggestion "Place your experience counters here." This card isn't required for play. It's simply a convenient spot to put your experience counters, which can be represented with dice, glass beads, or other small items.
Bastion Protector is the first card to refer to multiple Commander creatures.
Cycles[edit | edit source]
Commander 2015 has seven cycles:
- Experience counter commanders: five mythic rare bicolored legendary creatures that can be used as a commander. — Daxos the Returned, Mizzix of the Izmagnus, Meren of Clan Nel Toth, Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas and Ezuri, Claw of Progress.
- Alternate commanders: five mythic rare legendary creatures fitting the secondary theme of the decks. — Karlov of the Ghost Council, Arjun, the Shifting Flame, Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest, Anya, Merciless Angel and Kaseto, Orochi Archmage.
- Reprint commanders: five rare legendary creature reprints that fit the deck's theme. — Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts, Melek, Izzet Paragon, Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord, Gisela, Blade of Goldnight and Prime Speaker Zegana
- Mechanical tie-ins: five rare cards mechanically related to the same plane as the main commanders, and are connected to them by the card name. — Daxos's Torment, Mizzix's Mastery, Scourge of Nel Toth, Kalemne's Captain, and Ezuri's Predation.
- Confluences: five rare modal spells. — Righteous Confluence, Mystic Confluence, Wretched Confluence, Fiery Confluence, and Verdant Confluence.
- Myriad creatures: five uncommon creatures with the myriad mechanic. — Herald of the Host, Broodbirth Viper, Banshee of the Dread Choir, Warchief Giant, and Caller of the Pack.
- Enemy color signets: five common mana stones. Each artifact costs to cast and can be tapped to filter into two mana of different colors. Reprinted from Ravnica, Guildpact and Dissension — Orzhov Signet, Izzet Signet, Golgari Signet, Boros Signet and Simic Signet.
Theme decks[edit | edit source]
Commander 2015 consists of five enemy-colored decks:
|Theme deck name||Color Identity||Commander|
|Call the Spirits||W||B||Daxos the Returned|
|Seize Control||U||R||Mizzix of the Izmagnus|
|Plunder the Graves||B||G||Meren of Clan Nel Toth|
|Wade into Battle||W||R||Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas|
|Swell the Host||U||G||Ezuri, Claw of Progress|
Tokens[edit | edit source]
- 1/1 Shapeshifter for Crib Swap
- 4/4 Angel with Flying for Sigil of the Empty Throne
- 2/2 Cat for Ajani's Chosen
- 2/2 Knight with First Strike for Hunted Dragon
- 2/2 Knight with Vigilance for Righteous Confluence
- 2/2 Drake with Flying for Talrand, Sky Summoner
- 0/0 Germ for Bonehoard and Scytheclaw
- 2/2 Zombie for Dread Summons and Necromancer's Covenant
- 5/5 Dragon with Flying for Awaken the Sky Tyrant and Day of the Dragons
- 3/1 Elemental Shaman for Hostility (should have Haste)
- 5/1 Elemental named Lightning Rager with Trample and Haste for Rite of the Raging Storm
- 2/2 Bear for Caller of the Claw
- 4/4 Beast for Ezuri's Predation
- 3/3 Elephant for Terastodon
- 3/3 Frog Lizard for Rapid Hybridization
- 1/1 Saproling for Korozda Guildmage, Mycoloth, Thelonite Hermit and Verdant Force
- 1/1 Snake for Cobra Trap and Orochi Hatchery
- 1/2 Spider with Reach for Arachnogenesis and Spider Spawning
- 2/2 Wolf for Kessig Cagebreakers
- 5/5 Elemental with Flying for Call the Skybreaker
- 1/1 Snake for Patagia Viper
- 1/1 Spirit with Flying for Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts
- 1/1 Enchantment Spirit for Daxos the Returned
- Artifact named Gold for Gild
[edit | edit source]
- Official Commander (Elder Dragon Highlander - EDH) Homepage
- Adam Styborski. (November 19, 2015.) “Unofficial Commander (2015 Edition) Power Rankings”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen. (November 06, 2015.) “Commander (2015 Edition) Decklists”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
References[edit | edit source]
- Printed on the card frame.
- Commander 2015 info
- Wizards of the Coast. (August 5, 2015.) “Announcing Magic: The Gathering—Commander (2015)”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Ben Hayes. (November 2, 2015.) “Developing Commander 2015”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen. (November 4, 2015.) “Commander (2015 Edition) Packaging”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (November 2, 2015.) “Command and Conquer”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- David Whitfield. (August 5, 2015.) “Announcing the Legendary Cube”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Tabak. (November 2, 2015.) “Commander 2015 Mechanics”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast. (November 11, 2015.) “Commander (2015 Edition) Release Notes”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Sam Stoddard. (November 6, 2015.) “Developing Cards for Commander”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen. (November 5, 2015.) “Tokens of Commander (2015 Edition)”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.