We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: TBD -- Update: Fri 10/20 11pm UTC - We have encountered some unexpected issues. Our staff is working around the clock to complete this process as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
|Mark L. Gottlieb (lead)|
|Billy Moreno (lead)|
with contributions from
|November 1, 2013|
Themes and mechanics
|Command Zone interaction, Curses|
Keywords and/or ability words
|Five three-color 100-card decks|
|Commander series sets|
|Commander's Arsenal||Commander 2013||Commander 2014|
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
|Theros||Commander 2013||Born of the Gods|
Commander 2013 Edition is a product in the Commander series that was released by Wizards of the Coast in November 2013.  It was announced at the Magic panel at the San Diego Comic-Con on July 20, 2013.
Set details[edit | edit source]
The Commander 2013 product consists of five tri-color 'shard' decks, each 100 cards strong, that are ready-to-play commander decks right out of the box, with the option of choosing one of the three legendary tri-colored creatures each deck includes as the commander.   
Commander 2013 introduced cards that interact with the Command Zone (Derevi, Empyrial Tactician, Oloro, Ageless Ascetic and Opal Palace and the ability word Tempting offer which only appeared on sorceries. 
Cycles[edit | edit source]
Commander 2013 has nine cycles:
- Commanders: Each deck has a shard-colored legendary creature that is the designated commander for the deck they appear in. Some may have a CIP ability that gets stronger every time the commander is cast again, or an ability that directly interacts with the command zone. — Derevi, Empyrial Tactician, Oloro, Ageless Ascetic, Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge, Prossh, Skyraider of Kher, and Marath, Will of the Wild. 
- Alternative commanders: Each deck has a shard-colored legendary creature that can be used as an alternative commander. — Roon of the Hidden Realm, Sydri, Galvanic Genius, Nekusar, the Mindrazer, Shattergang Brothers, and Gahiji, Honored One.
- Reprinted commanders: Each deck has a shard-colored legendary creature that is a reprint. This creature can also be used as an alternative commander. — Rubinia Soulsinger, Sharuum the Hegemon, Thraximundar, Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper, and Mayael the Anima.
- Tempting offers: Each deck has a card with tempting offer. — Tempt with Glory, Tempt with Reflections, Tempt with Discovery, Tempt with Vengeance, and Tempt with Immortality.
- Curses: Each deck has access to the three of the five curses. — Curse of the Forsaken, Curse of Inertia, Curse of Shallow Graves, Curse of Chaos, and Curse of Predation
- Panoramas: Each deck has a panorama from Shards of Alara of the shard associated with that color combinatination. — Jund Panorama, Esper Panorama, Naya Panorama, Grixis Panorama, and Bant Panorama.
- Shardlands: Each deck has the shardland from Shards of Alara of the shard associated with that color combination. — Savage Lands, Arcane Sanctum, Jungle Shrine, Crumbling Necropolis, and Seaside Citadel.
- Cycling lands: All five cycling lands from Onslaught are represented in the decks. — Barren Moor, Forgotten Cave, Lonely Sandbar, Secluded Steppe, and Tranquil Thicket.
- Guildgates: All ten guildgates from the Return to Ravnica block are represented in the decks. — Azorius Guildgate, Boros Guildgate, Dimir Guildgate, Golgari Guildgate, Gruul Guildgate, Izzet Guildgate, Orzhov Guildgate, Rakdos Guildgate, Selesnya Guildgate, and Simic Guildgate,
Theme decks[edit | edit source]
Commander 2013 consists of five decks:
|Theme deck name||Color identity||Commander|
|Evasive Maneuvers||W||U||G||Derevi, Empyrial Tactician|
|Eternal Bargain||W||U||B||Oloro, Ageless Ascetic|
|Mind Seize||U||B||R||Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge|
|Power Hungry||B||R||G||Prossh, Skyraider of Kher|
|Nature of the Beast||W||R||G||Marath, Will of the Wild|
The new cards are evenly distributed amongst the five decks.
[edit | edit source]
- Wizards of the Coast. (October 7, 2013.) “Commander (2013 Edition) Card Image Gallery”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Official Commander (Elder Dragon Highlander - EDH) Homepage
References[edit | edit source]
- Product information
- Trick Jarrett. (July 22, 2013.) “Announcing Magic: The Gathering Commander 2013”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett. (October 09, 2013.) “Commander (2013 Edition) Packaging”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (October 28, 2013.) “Your Wish Is My Commander”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Creative Team. (October 30, 2013.) “The Ten Commanders”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett. (October 24, 2013.) “51 New Cards”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast. (October 22, 2013.) “Commander 2013 Edition Release Notes”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Sam Stoddard. (November 01, 2013.) “Developing Commander”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett. (October 08, 2013.) “Introducing Marath!”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast. (October 18, 2013.) “All Five Commander Decklists”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.