The term general is sometimes used instead, although commander is the formal term according to the rules.
Description[edit | edit source]
- However, a small number of planeswalker cards have an ability stating that they can serve as commanders and with the Brawl option, every planeswalker can be commander.
- A player's choice of commander determines which other cards can be played in the deck by determining that deck's color identity.
Rules[edit | edit source]
- Players may choose either a legendary creature, or a planeswalker that has an ability allowing it to be chosen, as a commander. Players may choose a pair of them if each has the Partner ability.
- The Commander's color identity restricts what cards may appear in the deck. If a player chooses to have two commanders, the color identity is the combined color identity of each.
- Being a Commander is not a characteristic but a property of the card.
- If a player has been dealt 21 points of combat damage by a particular Commander during a game, that player loses the game. If a player chooses to have two commanders, each is counted separately.
- While a Commander is in the command zone, it may be cast. As an additional cost to cast a Commander from the command zone, the player casting it must pay for each time that player has previously cast it from the command zone. If a player chooses to have two commanders, each is counted separately. This is called the Commander Tax.
- If a commander would be put into its owner's graveyard, be exiled, or returned to a player's hand or library from anywhere, that player may choose to put it into the command zone instead.
Commander interaction cards[edit | edit source]
Some cards specifically interact with your commander. If a player has two commanders, then each is counted separately, except for abilities referring to color identity, in which case the color identity of the commander is the combined color identity of each of that player's commanders.
- Command Tower from Commander; reprinted in Commander's Arsenal, Commander 2013-Commander 2018.
- Opal Palace from Commander 2013; reprinted in Commander 2016.
- Commander's Sphere from Commander 2014; reprinted in Commander 2016 and Commander 2018.
- Command Beacon from Commander 2015.
- Bastion Protector from Commander 2015.
- Bloodsworn Steward from Commander 2017.
- Path of Ancestry from Commander 2017.
- Geode Golem from Commander 2018.
- Forge of Heroes from Commander 2018.
- Myth Unbound from Commander 2018.
Commander Storm[edit | edit source]
Lieutenant[edit | edit source]
Interacting with other commanders[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Matt Tabak. (October 24, 2016.) “Commander 2016 Mechanics”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (October 24, 2016.) “Howdy Partner”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Chas Andres. (August 15, 2017.) “How to Choose Your Commander”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.