|Art direction||Jeremy Jarvis|
|Release date||November 2, 2012|
(18 foil cards, 10 oversized foil cards)
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
Commander's Arsenal is a product in the Commander series that was released by Wizards of the Coast in November 2012. It was announced at the Magic panel at the San Diego Comic-Con on July 14, 2012.
History[edit | edit source]
Mark Rosewater stated that a new line of products was conceived for the Commander format because of the success of Commander. There will be a Commander product every year, and future products are likely to be complete decks. However due to the unexpected demand and related timing issues the 2012 set ended up being a less streamlined collection. "The best way to describe it is a treasure trove of Commander goodies", explained Rosewater. 
Because of the out-of-order nature of the release, it was made a premium product with relatively limited print run. The massive (up to four time MSRP) price hikes applied by many stores as a result disappointed many players who had hoped for greater accessibility of some of those cards.
Contents[edit | edit source]
Commander's Arsenal includes:
- 18 premium foil cards (some that have never been foiled before, some with new art)
- 10 oversized premium foil cards
- 120 Ultra Pro foil card sleeves
- 20 double-sided Battle Marks that work as both +1/+1 counters and -1/-1 counters
- A life counter that goes up to 99
Included cards[edit | edit source]
- Sliver Queen*
- Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
- Mayael the Anima
- Zur the Enchanter
- Grimgrin, Corpse-Born
- Brion Stoutarm
- Glissa, the Traitor
- Godo, Bandit Warlord
- Azusa, Lost but Seeking
- Karn, Silver Golem*
Notable are Sliver Queen and Karn, which are on the Reserved List. These reprints are possible because of the nature of oversized cards, which makes the reserved list policy explicitly inapplicable to them.
The regular cards are all premium foil. Most of them have never been released in that form, and those who have (Duplicant, Decree of Pain, Mirari's Wake, Rhystic Study, Mind's Eye and Command Tower) are here with new or promo art (* indicates cards new to the modern frame):
- Chaos Warp
- Command Tower
- Diaochan, Artful Beauty*
- Dragonlair Spider
- Decree of Pain
- Edric, Spymaster of Trest
- Kaalia of the Vast
- Loyal Retainers*
- Maelstrom Wanderer
- Mind's Eye
- Mirari's Wake
- The Mimeoplasm
- Rhystic Study*
- Scroll Rack*
- Sylvan Library*
- Vela the Night-Clad
References[edit | edit source]
- set symbol URL on Gatherer
- Wizards of the Coast. (October 17, 2012.) "Commander's Arsenal", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- David Leavitt. (25 October, 2012.) 'Commander's Arsenal' is a 'treasure trove of Commander goodies' Examiner.com
- Monty Ashley. (August 10, 2012.) "Commander's Arsenal", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett. (October 23, 2012.) "Commander's Arsenal Initial Barrage", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Gottlieb. (October 25, 2012.) "In Command of Commander's Arsenal ", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
[edit | edit source]