We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: End of Week.
From MTG Wiki
|Reminder Text:||Clash (Each clashing player reveals the top card of his or her library, then puts that card on the top or bottom. A player wins if his or her card had a higher converted mana cost.)|
|Statistics:|| 31 cards |
23% 23% 19% 19% 16%
|Gatherer search for "Clash"|
Rules[edit | edit source]
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- Each Lorwyn card that has clash says to "clash with an opponent." To do this, the following things happen in sequence:
- The controller of the spell or ability chooses an opponent. (This doesn't target the opponent.)
- Each player involved in the clash reveals the top card of his or her library.
- The converted mana costs of the revealed cards are noted.
- In turn order, each player involved in the clash chooses to put his or her revealed card on either the top or bottom of his or her library. (Note that the player whose turn it is does this first, not necessarily the controller of the clash spell or ability.) When the second player makes this decision, he or she will know what the first player chose. Then all cards are moved at the same time.
- The clash is over. If one player in the clash revealed a card with a higher converted mana cost than all other cards revealed in the clash, that player wins the clash.
- If any abilities trigger when a player clashes, they trigger and wait to be put on the stack.
- The clash spell or ability finishes resolving. That usually involves a bonus gained by the controller of the clash spell or ability if he or she won the clash.
- Abilities that triggered during the clash are put on the stack.
- There are no draws or losses in a clash. Either you win it or you don't.
- Each spell or ability with clash says what happens if you (the controller of that spell or ability) win the clash. Typically, if you don't win the clash, nothing happens. (Captivating Glance is the exception to this.)
- If no one reveals a card with a higher converted mana cost (for example, each player reveals a card with converted mana cost 2), no one wins the clash.
- An X in a revealed card's mana cost is treated as 0.
- A card without a mana cost (such as a land) has a converted mana cost of 0.
- Two cards (Entangling Trap and Rebellion of the Flamekin) have abilities that trigger whenever you clash. These abilities will trigger whenever you're involved in a clash, not just whenever you cause a clash to happen. It doesn't matter whether you win the clash.
- One card (Sylvan Echoes) has an ability that triggers whenever you clash and win. This works the same as the two cards above, except it does matter whether you win the clash. Note that you can win a clash caused by a spell or ability your opponent controls.
Examples[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Devin Low. (September 28, 2007.) “Mixed Doubles: Two Types and Two Keywords”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (October 1, 2007.) “And the Rest”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (October 08, 2007.) “Before and After”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (January 14, 2008.) “But Wait, There's More”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (November 8, 2010.) “Essay What”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.