From MTG Wiki
|Typical Text:||Chroma — … for each … mana symbol in those cards' mana costs.|
|Statistics:|| 9 cards|
33 % 22 % 22 % 11 % 11 %
|Gatherer search for "Chroma"|
Chroma is an ability word first introduced in Eventide. Cards with chroma require a count of the number of specific colored mana symbols on cards. For Theros, Chroma was retweaked as Devotion.
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- Different chroma abilities have different effects and check different sets of cards or permanents. Read each card carefully.
- Chroma abilities check only mana costs, which are found in a card's upper right corner. They don't count mana symbols that appear in a card's text box.
- Chroma abilities count hybrid mana symbols of the appropriate color. For example, a card with mana cost has two red mana symbols in its mana cost.
- Many chroma abilities check a set of permanents that includes the one with the chroma ability. For example, Heartlash Cinder's chroma ability includes itself, so it'll get at least +1/+0. Similarly, Primalcrux (a creature with power and toughness each equal to the number of green mana symbols in the mana costs of permanents you control) will be at least 6/6 while it's in play.
- Copy effects, such as Spitting Image and Clone, copy a permanent's mana cost (and all the mana symbols therein). A token that's a copy of a permanent will copy that permanent's mana cost, if that permanent has one, and will be counted for chroma abilities.
Examples[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Kelly Digges. (July 1, 2008.) “The Crux of the Matter”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (July 7, 2008.) “Eventide Pool”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Devin Low. (July 4, 2008.) “When Mana Symbols Attack”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (November 24, 2014.) “Top 8 and a Half Tales”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.