As part of the Unified Community Platform project, this wiki and 38 others will be migrated to the new platform in the next few weeks. Minimal changes are expected as part of this migration. Read more here.
|Typical Text||Chroma — … for each … mana symbol in those cards' mana costs.|
22.2% 11.1% 11.1% 33.3% 22.2%
Chroma is an ability word first introduced in Eventide. Cards with chroma require a count of the number of specific colored mana symbols on cards. Chroma was tweaked and reintroduced in the Theros block as devotion.
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- Different chroma abilities have different effects and check different sets of cards or permanents. Read each card carefully.
- Chroma abilities check only mana costs, which are found in a card's upper right corner. They don't count mana symbols that appear in a card's text box.
- Chroma abilities count hybrid mana symbols of the appropriate color. For example, a card with mana cost has two red mana symbols in its mana cost.
- Many chroma abilities check a set of permanents that includes the one with the chroma ability. For example, Heartlash Cinder's chroma ability includes itself, so it'll get at least +1/+0. Similarly, Primalcrux (a creature with power and toughness each equal to the number of green mana symbols in the mana costs of permanents you control) will be at least 6/6 while it's in play.
- Copy effects, such as Spitting Image and Clone, copy a permanent's mana cost (and all the mana symbols therein). A token that's a copy of a permanent will copy that permanent's mana cost, if that permanent has one, and will be counted for chroma abilities.
Examples[edit | edit source]
Light from Within
Chroma — Each creature you control gets +1/+1 for each white mana symbol in its mana cost.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Kelly Digges (July 1, 2008). "The Crux of the Matter". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (July 7, 2008). "Eventide Pool". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Devin Low (July 4, 2008). "When Mana Symbols Attack". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (November 24, 2014). "Top 8 and a Half Tales". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
[edit | edit source]
- A Planeswalker's Primer for Eventide 2: Chroma (Video). YouTube.