|Status||Inactive: Alpha to Time Spiral|
|Style||Comic book art style|
|Cards illustrated by Christopher Rush|
Christopher Rush was one of the original 25 Magic: The Gathering artists. Rush's work is typically easy to pick out as it bears a strong resemblance to comic book artwork featuring recognizable lines and simple backgrounds. He has worked on many extremely notable cards and has the distinction of working on three of the most expensive cards in the game: Black Lotus, Shichifukujin Dragon, and 1996 World Champion. Chris was initially a Wizards of the Coast staff member and worked on many of their other products including Pokemon and Netrunner. In 1999, he left Wizards to work as a freelance artist living in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas. He is also the person that suggested that basic lands could be represented by full art cards.
Christopher was one of several retro artists brought back during Time Spiral to recapture the early feel of the game. Unfortunately he didn't continue after Time Spiral, and despite his popularity remained fairly reclusive. Christopher Rush passed away on February 10, 2016.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Black Lotus - Easily his most famous illustration, if not Magic's most recognized.
Brass Man - Notice how the background barely stands out and has little detail.
Chronatog - Even this slightly more complex background only serves to draw towards the focus.
Chronatog Totem - Even years later he uses the same general style.
Knights Of Thorn - This illustration is visually striking making it very memorable.
Niall Silvain - Focusing on a single character helps to make much of his art memorable.
Wellwisher - The comic book style is apparent in lines and coloring.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Events Staff" (Unknown). "US Nationals Artist: Chris Rush". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (Monday, February 14, 2005). "Land of the Rising Fun". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (Monday, April 30, 2007). "Timeshift After Timeshift". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Cavotta (Thursday, October 26, 2006). "The Time Spiral Magic Museum". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (February 11, 2016). "Christopher Rush". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley (Thursday, Monday, May 10, 2010). "Alternate Moxen". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.