From MTG Wiki
|Reminder Text||Changeling (This card is every creature type.)|
23% 23% 19% 19% 16%
Changeling is a characteristic-defining keyword ability. It only appears on shapeshifter cards and grants those cards all creature types. Changelings were featured in the Lorwyn block; the design was based on Mistform Ultimus' ability.
Rules[edit | edit source]
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- Because a card with changeling is every creature type, it will be affected by any spell or ability that affects any creature type, regardless of what that creature type is. And because changeling is a characteristic-defining ability, this is true in all zones. For example, if a card tells you to reveal a Merfolk card from your hand, return a Goblin card from your graveyard to your hand, or gain control of a Goat, you can perform these actions on a card with changeling.
- The rules that govern the interaction of continuous effects state that type-changing effects are applied before effects that add or remove abilities. This causes some unusual things to happen.
- If an effect causes a creature with changeling to lose all creature types, the creature won't lose changeling—but it will lose all its creature types.
- If an effect causes a creature with changeling to become a new creature type or types, the creature won't lose changeling—but it won't have all creature types anymore. It will be just the new creature type(s).
- If a card loses the changeling ability, it will still have all creature types. It just won't have changeling.
- Note that effects that grant an object all creature types do *not* give that object changeling.
Examples[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater. (October 1, 2007.) “And the Rest”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (November 19, 2007.) “The Times They Are A Changeling”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Devin Low. (November 30, 2007.) “Spare Changelings”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (January 14, 2008.) “But Wait, There's More”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.