Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Description[edit | edit source]
The Chain Veil is made of burnished gold and is exquisitely crafted, so fine it appears to have the texture of silk. When worn, it covers the face.
History[edit | edit source]
The Veil has been of great interest to the mysterious individual only known as the Raven Man.
The planeswalker Liliana Vess retrieved the Chain Veil from the catacombs at Shandalar, as instructed by the demon Kothophed. Wearing it over her face she was able to enhance her power, destroy Kothophed and Griselbrand, and pass the demon curse to Garruk Wildspeaker. She appeared to be too strong to be killed or demonized herself. However, as the Veil took hold of her she seemed to become possessed by its eldritch spirits. The spirits keep begging her to release herself to them.
On Innistrad, Liliana tried to exorcize the spirits from the veil, with help from the geistmage Dierk and a witchbane orb loaned from Olivia Voldaren. She failed. While drawing upon the Chain Veil, Liliana was able to temporarily harm the Titan Emrakul herself, although it drained Liliana greatly. During the confrontation, the spirits of the Veil urged her to flee numerous times and referred to Emrakul as the "World-Ender" and the "World-Creator", implying greater knowledge about the Eldrazi.
Lilianna used the Chain Veil intensively during the War of the Spark and at one point the Onakke spirits emerged from the Veil itself to protect her.Jace noted that the spirits had never operated this way before. He speculated that Bolas's hold over Liliana allowed her to release the true power of the Veil. Liliana used the Veil's powers it to drain eternals and uses the energy of their unholy resurrections to heal her severe wounds, brought upon by Jace, Teferi, Jaya and Vivien.
In-game references[edit | edit source]
Quoted or referred to:
[edit | edit source]
- John Vornholt (Febuary 2010). The Curse of the Chain Veil
- Liliana Vess. Planeswalker Biography. Wizards of the Coast.
References[edit | edit source]
- Kelly Digges (July 22, 2015). "Catching Up". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Nik Davidson (August 6, 2014). "Dreams of the Damned". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer (August 31, 2011). "Liliana's Mission". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- James Wyatt (July 2, 2014). "Veil of Deceit". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Greg Weisman (April 2019). "War of the Spark: Ravnica". Del Rey.
- Doug Beyer (June 29, 2016). "Innistrad's Last Hope". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Ken Troop (July 27, 2016). "The Promised End". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.