|Last Used||Dragon's Maze|
|Typical Text||Battalion — Whenever this card and at least two other creatures attack, …|
38% 31% 31%
Battalion is an ability word introduced in Gatecrash, wherein it is the Boros Legion guild mechanic. It gives an advantageous effect when a creature with battalion attacks alongside 2 or more other creatures. The mechanic was designed or inspired by Shawn Main, who, for the Great Designer Search 2, submitted "Assault". Dragon's Maze added 2 cards with batallion.
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- The three attacking creatures don't have to be attacking the same player or planeswalker.
- Once a battalion ability has triggered, it doesn't matter how many creatures are still attacking when that ability resolves.
- The effects of battalion abilities vary from card to card. Read each card carefully.
Example[edit | edit source]
Silver-border[edit | edit source]
One variant of Garbage Elemental has battalion.
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater. (May 2, 2016.) “Storm Scale: Ravnica and Return to Ravnica”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (January 7, 2013.) “Gatecrashing the Party, Part 2”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (December 26, 2012.) "First evolve and now we're getting Shawn Main's assault mechanic under the name battalion. Is RtR going to be the Great Designer Search block? :)", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (December 26, 2012.) "Was Battalion called attackcraft (or even Warcraft) in design?", Blogatog, Tumblr.