Barry's Land was a playtest card for Invasion that was thought up by Mark Rosewater to boost Domain. Barry's Land was named after R&D's codename for Domain — Barry. Domain was created by Barry Reich.
Planeshift[edit | edit source]
For ruling reasons, Barry's Land was never printed, despite its popularity with R&D. Development wanted more time to understand the power of Barry's Land, so it was pushed to Planeshift. At the time, because the basic supertype didn't exist yet, it was argued that it couldn't be a basic land and a non-basic land at the same time by the Rules team. With the simplified wording of basic lands in Eighth Edition, Barry's Land could have gotten another shot at being printed according to Paul Barclay.
Conflux[edit | edit source]
That version had the following rules problem: the "Is it a nonbasic land when it becomes a basic land?" issue. Can something non-basic be basic by an ability? Thus, rules fuzziness aplenty, plus it didn't have some of the out-of-play basic land interaction that some people wanted.
Then Cave as a sixth basic land type was proposed by Ken Nagle, but it resulted in breaking cards like Coalition Victory while every card from then on would need to list Cave as a new basic land type. A version with the rules text "If you would count the number of basic land types you control, instead count them and add one" was created, but this caused more confusion and was deemed aesthetically unpleasant. Card art was ordered already, which was subsequently used for Reliquary Tower.
Current state[edit | edit source]
Mark Rosewater hasn't given up on Barry's Land yet, but is skeptical that it will ever be made because of too many rules and logistics issues. A part of the complexity issue is the fact that the colorless mana symbol and the generic mana symbol were the same until Oath of the Gatewatch. However with the printing of Wastes the chances became even lower that Barry's Land sees print.
References[edit | edit source]
- Magic Arcana (February 19, 2004). "The story of "Barry's Land"". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (July 22, 2002). "Squirrel of My Dreams". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (February 09, 2009). "Whatever Happened to Barry's Land?". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (October 23, 2012). "Will it ever be possible that maybe one day we will see the printing of Berry's[[[wikipedia:sic|sic]]] Land?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (February 01, 2013). "Barry's Land wouldn't let you play it forever.". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (September 07, 2014). "Do you think Barry's Land will ever be made in any form?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (February 01, 2013). "Does this fact make Barry's Land more of a complexity issue?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (December 11, 2015). "What does the printing of Waste mean about the future of Barry’s Land?". Blogatog. Tumblr.