Static (1st ability)|
Spell (2nd ability)
|Introduced||Duel Decks: Zendikar vs. Eldrazi|
|Last Used||Battle for Zendikar|
|Reminder Text||Awaken N — [cost] (If you cast this card for [cost], also put N +1/+1 counters on target land you control and it becomes a 0/0 Elemental creature with haste. It's still a land.)|
25% 37.5% 18.8% 6.3% 6.3% 6.3%
Awaken is a keyword ability that provides an alternative cost. If a spell is cast for its awaken cost, in addition to its other effects, it animates a land you control as a 0/0 Elemental creature with N +1/+1 counters on it.
History[edit | edit source]
Rules[edit | edit source]
- 702.112. Awaken
- 702.112a Awaken appears on some instants and sorceries. It represents two abilities: a static ability that functions while the spell with awaken is on the stack and a spell ability. “Awaken N—[cost]” means “You may pay [cost] rather than pay this spell’s mana cost as you cast this spell” and “If this spell’s awaken cost was paid, put N +1/+1 counters on target land you control. That land becomes a 0/0 Elemental creature with haste. It’s still a land.” Paying a spell’s awaken cost follows the rules for paying alternative costs in rules 601.2b and 601.2f–h.
- 702.112b The controller of a spell with awaken chooses the target of the awaken spell ability only if that player chose to pay the spell’s awaken cost. Otherwise the spell is cast as if it didn’t have that target.
- A keyword ability that lets you turn a land you control into a creature. See rule 702.112, “Awaken.”
Examples[edit | edit source]
Destroy target tapped creature.
Awaken 3— (If you cast this card for , also put three +1/+1 counters on target land you control and it becomes a 0/0 Elemental creature with haste. It's still a land.)
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- You can target a land that's already a creature.
- If you cast a spell for its awaken cost, you must choose a legal target for every instance of the word "target," including the one included in the awaken ability.
- If a spell with awaken normally doesn't require a target, and you choose to cast it for its awaken cost, you will add a target to the spell by doing so. If that target land becomes illegal before the spell tries to resolve, the spell will be countered.
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater (November 21, 2016). "Storm Scale: Zendikar and Battle for Zendikar". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Tabak (August 31, 2015). "Battle for Zendikar Mechanics". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Sam Stoddard (September 18, 2015). "Developing New Mechanics in a Returning World". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (June 25, 2017). "Would it be an improvement to simplify Awaken by always putting three +1/+1 counters on the land?". Blogatog. Tumblr.