Static (1st ability)|
Spell (2nd ability)
|Introduced||Duel Decks: Zendikar vs. Eldrazi|
|Last Used||Battle for Zendikar|
|Reminder Text||Awaken N — [cost] (If you cast this card for [cost], also put N +1/+1 counters on target land you control and it becomes a 0/0 Elemental creature with haste. It's still a land.)|
25% 37.5% 18.8% 6.3% 6.3% 6.3%
Awaken is a keyword ability that provides an alternative cost. If a spell is cast for its awaken cost, in addition to its other effects, it animates a land you control as a 0/0 Elemental creature with N +1/+1 counters on it.
History[edit | edit source]
Rules[edit | edit source]
Examples[edit | edit source]
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- You can target a land that's already a creature.
- If you cast a spell for its awaken cost, you must choose a legal target for every instance of the word "target," including the one included in the awaken ability.
- If a spell with awaken normally doesn't require a target, and you choose to cast it for its awaken cost, you will add a target to the spell by doing so. If that target land becomes illegal before the spell tries to resolve, the spell will be countered.
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater (November 21, 2016). "Storm Scale: Zendikar and Battle for Zendikar". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Tabak (August 31, 2015). "Battle for Zendikar Mechanics". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Sam Stoddard (September 18, 2015). "Developing New Mechanics in a Returning World". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (June 25, 2017). "Would it be an improvement to simplify Awaken by always putting three +1/+1 counters on the land?". Blogatog. Tumblr.