- For the online presentation of a player, see Magic Online.
Avatar is a creature type. An Avatar is an aspect or projection of a larger power. Avatars are powerful beings, and while most Avatars are benevolent, many are considered to be evil.
On the planes[edit | edit source]
On Alara[edit | edit source]
Only two known avatars are known to have existed on Alara. Both of these avatars were powerful incarnations of aspects of the plane itself, rather than a deity there.
- Progenitus, the Worldsoul of the plane.
- The Child of Alara was the manifestation of the Conflux itself.
On Dominaria[edit | edit source]
Aerona[edit | edit source]
Jamuraa[edit | edit source]
On the continent of Jamuraa, a cycle of avatars represent the five colors of mana.
- The Avatar of Hope is a winged creature whose appearance varied from time to time. It represents hope for those who despaired, and can appear in times of great need.
- The Avatar of Will is a creature resembling a winged merfolk clad in ornate armor. This avatar can be easily summoned to defeat an enemy whose will was broken.
- The Avatar of Woe is a powerful humanoid wearing black garments and wielding a large scythe-like weapon. It thrives in times of great death, and can effortlessly slaughter anyone it wants to.
- The Avatar of Fury resembles a fire-breathing, winged serpentine creature possessing four arms, two of which end in large, metallic spikes.
- The Avatar of Might is a towering bipedal creature with the head of an elephant and skin resembling bark. It is the largest of the five avatars, although it lacks the flying abilities of the Avatars of Hope, Will, and Fury.
Otaria[edit | edit source]
- Karona was the living incarnation of magic, accidentally created by the Numena before the time of the Thran. The numena knew that she was a threat of the greatest measure, and destroyed her at the cost of their lives.
Her reincarnation, Karona, was the manifestation of all Dominarian mana, brought into being by the aggregation of Akroma, Phage, and Zagorka, all slain by the Soul Reaper. During her brief existence, she further devastated the already war-torn Otaria, and disrupted the very fabric of magic on Dominaria. Her abilities stemmed from that of faith, that anything a being could believe of her, she could accomplish.
- Scion of Darkness was the avatar of Kuberr before he gained physical form from the union of The First and Phage.
Sarpadia[edit | edit source]
- The Ebon Praetor was the avatar of the deity worshipped by the Ebon Hand.
- The Hand of Justice was the avatar of the deity worshipped by the Order of Leitbur in Icatia.
Terisiare[edit | edit source]
- The Keeper of Tresserhorn was an avatar Lim-Dûl used to rule Tresserhorn in his stead.
- Marit Lage, a powerful otherwordly being, was imprisoned in the Dark Depths during the Ice Age.
On Ixalan[edit | edit source]
- The local sun is embodied by various dinosaurian avatars that represent its stages: the Wakening Sun's Avatar, representing the dawn and creation; the Verdant Sun's Avatar, representing midday and life's sustenance; and the Burning Sun's Avatar, representing sunset and death.
On Mirrodin[edit | edit source]
The Kaldra Champion was an avatar created by the unification of the Kaldra artifacts, the Sword of Kaldra,Shield of Kaldra, and Helm of Kaldra. When Glissa Sunseeker assembled these artifacts to dispatch Memnarch, he took control of the avatar and turned it against the elf.
On Ravnica[edit | edit source]
- The Avatar of Discord is an aspect of Rakdos's power which had gained a life of its own.
- The Sanguine Praetor is the avatar of one of Ravnica's various old gods whose worship predated the Ten Guilds.
- The Scion of the Wild is the avatar of the beings gone extinct due to the massive urbanization of Ravnica.
- Stalking Vengeance is the avatar of retribution composed of the souls of those who were violently slain.
- The Primordials:  five different types of powerful avatar, with one assigned to each color. The primordials were Luminate Primordial, Diluvian Primordial, Sepulchral Primordial, Molten Primordial, and Sylvan Primordial.
In Serra's Realm[edit | edit source]
Serra often used an avatar of herself to conduct business all across her plane.
On Shadowmoor[edit | edit source]
In Ulgrotha[edit | edit source]
- The Autumn Willow was the spirit of the forests of Ulgrotha and opposed Baron Sengir's pressing conquest.
On Tarkir[edit | edit source]
- The Living Lore embodies the Ojutai clan's knowledge and wisdom, becoming more powerful based on the spells that the clan used.
- Avatar of the Resolute exemplifies the ideals of the Dromoka: strength, unity, and honor. This avatar's power and size vary depending on the power of its allies, further emphasizing those ideals.
Avatars of the Planes[edit | edit source]
The Planes of Existence have their own Avatars themselves. Currently, there are six known Avatars.
- Soul of Innistrad
- Soul of New Phyrexia
- Soul of Ravnica
- Soul of Shandalar
- Soul of Theros
- Soul of Zendikar
Avatar tokens[edit | edit source]
|Avatar||White||Creature — Avatar||*/*||This creature's power and toughness are each equal to your life total.|
|Avatar||White||Creature — Avatar||4/4||Flying|
named Marit Lage
|Black||Legendary Creature — Avatar||20/20||Flying, indestructible|
|Colorless||Legendary Creature — Avatar||4/4|
References[edit | edit source]
- Magic Arcana. (June 06, 2006.) “Stalking Vengeance”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (January 21, 2013.) “Storming the Gatecrash, Part 1”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Rei Nakazawa. (August 5, 2008.) “The Seer's Parables”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.