|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
4.8% 16.9% 1.2% 63.9% 1.2% 1.2% 7.2% 3.6%
The first creature to bear the type was River Boa in Visions (though Crypt Cobra and Sabertooth Cobra from Mirage, the Hornet Cobra from Legends, and Nafs Asp from Antiquities were later issued errata to become Snakes). After the Grand Creature Type Update Snake became a common "tribe".
The coatl are large, winged serpents created during the Conflux on Alara. The nacatl call them "vetli", a word that means "poison arrow". Wingless variants also exist, whose scales are believed to be inscripted with secrets.
Dementia Snakemen were created by Chainer when he exiled the First to Aphetto. The creatures were sent ahead of the First to seize control of the city prior to his arrival in order to make his takeover more difficult, although the First did eventually convince them to obey him. They were created using the power of the Mirari and continued to exist after Chainer's death, serving the Patriarch as bodyguards and assassins.
Coatls are large serpents with feathered wings that are native to the continent of Ixalan. The River Heralds rever the Coatl as representative of the wisdom of the sky and the rivers that twist through the air to reflect the course of rivers along the ground.
Coatls are immortal guardians of the sky, dwelling always among the clouds. The River Heralds say that they can be enticed to the ground by the earnest supplication of the wisest of merfolk shamans. Coatls are said to be wise beyond mortal measure and incapable of speaking a falsehood, so their advice is often sought in times of desperate need. The sight of a coatl is thought to foretell favorable winds — a belief that has begun to spread from the River Herald shamans to the pirates of the Brazen Coalition.
Orochi are anthropomorphic four-armed snakefolk that inhabit the Jukai Forest of Kamigawa (Orochi Colony). The orochi of Jukai are segregated into three main tribes: the Kashi tribe, which houses and breeds the warriors of their kind; the Matsu tribe, which are snipers and scouts; and the Sakura tribe, which associates with the race's shamanic rituals and teachings. Of course, each tribe has its exceptions.
Orochi magic is based on reverance to kami of the land itself and is noticeably tied to the seasons.
Using its membranes, the Patagia Viper is able to glide between buildings. They are capable of obtaining lift within the course of these flights.
Snakes that mirror Greek myths
Greek Mythology describes several particular snakes, many of which are directly referenced by snakes from Theros. Snake of the Golden Grove is a reference to the Drakon Kholkikos, a giant snake or dragon, as the two creatures were not always clearly distinct in Greek myth, that guarded the Golden Fleece and was eventually slain by Jason and his Argonauts. Nemesis of Mortals is a reference to Python, a giant snake that was an enemy of Apollo. Nessian Asp references the amphisbaena, a type of two-headed snake often referenced in Greek texts.
Servants of Pharika or Erebos
Other snakes of Theros are not referencing any particular Greek Myth, but simply servants of Erebos or Pharika. This is depicted in Pharika's Chosen, Erebos's Emissary, Pharika's Cure, and Pharika, God of Affliction
The Gorgons of Theros have snakelike hair and bodies.
- Leer, Soot, Barrel, Grim and Nod were five of Chainer's snakeman assassins. They aided Braids in tracking Kamahl back to the Pardic Mountains but were slain in battle against Balthor and the other Pardic barbarians before they could kill Kamahl and steal the Mirari from him.
- Seshiro, the leader of the orochi colonies.
- Sachi. the leader of the orochi shamans. Daughter of Seshiro.
- Shidako. an orochi matriarch and warrior.
- Shisato. an orochi warrior known for her cunning and ruthlessness.
- Sasaya. an orochi female whose meditations enabled her to meld her life force with that of the forest.
- Sakiko, an orochi matron who has mastered the art of drawing green mana from her enemies’ holdings.
- Shizuko a powerful orochi shaman and rival of Sakiko who believes the orochi should be self-sufficient and uninvolved in the kami war.
- Sosuke. the leader of the orochi warriors; also the son of Seshiro.
- Kaseto, an orochi archmage.
Creature types changed into Snake include:
- Asp (Nafs Asp)
- Cobra (Hornet Cobra)
- Poison-Snake (Serpent Generator)
- Python (Python)
- Viper (Marsh Viper)
- Examples of other snake species included in the Snake type
|Snake||Black||Creature — Snake||1/1||Deathtouch|
|Black/Green||Enchantment Creature — Snake||1/1||Deathtouch|
|Green||Creature — Snake||1/1|
|Green||Creature — Snake||1/1||Deathtouch|
|Green/Blue||Creature — Snake||1/1|
|Colorless||Artifact Creature — Snake||1/1||Whenever this creature deals damage to a player, that player gets a poison counter.|
|Green||Creature — Snake||5/4|
named Broodbirth Viper
|Blue||Creature — Snake||3/3||Myriad
Whenever Broodbirth Viper deals combat damage to a player, you may draw a card.
|Zombie Snake Hydra
named Honored Hydra
|White||Creature — Zombie Snake Hydra||6/6||Trample|
- Skeletal Snake — The only Skeleton Snake. Also depicted on Necrobite
- Wall of Vipers — The only Wall Snake.
- Zombie Boa and Rotting Fensnake — The only Zombie Snakes.
- Coiled Tinviper and Vector Asp — Artifact Snakes.
- Patagia Viper, Ribbon Snake, and Winged Coatl — Flying Snakes.
- Serpent Assassin and Serpent Warrior — Pre-Orochi Snake-People from Portal.
- Snakeform is an instant that can turn a creature into a green Snake with base power and toughness 1/1.
- Jinxed Choker is actually a thin silver snake that slowly tightens its grip.
- Thieving Amalgam is an Ape Snake.
- James Wyatt (January 9, 2018). "Plane Shift: Ixalan". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Alex Smith (March 07, 2005). "Truth in Fantasy". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (September 09, 2004). "Orochi art previews". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Flavor text of Coiling oracle
- Magic Arcana (October 28, 2004). "Sketches: Orochi Hatchery". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (May 25, 2006). "Dissension Token Art". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (December 16, 2003). "Jinxed artifacts". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.