Archenemy: Nicol Bolas
|Archenemy: Nicol Bolas|
|Symbol description||Horns and gem of Nicol Bolas|
Gavin Verhey (lead)|
Bryan Hawley (lead)|
|Art direction||Jeremy Jarvis|
|Release date||June 16, 2017|
|Set size||260 (Four 60 card theme decks + 20 schemes)|
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
Set details[edit | edit source]
|“||A battle 25,000 years in the making.||”|
Unlike the first Archenemy release, which offered four villain decks with varying themes, Nicol Bolas contains decks for the opposing team. In addition to the single villain deck for its namesake, it includes three further decks, focused on members of the Gatewatch, tuned specifically for play against that villain deck. It also includes new scheme cards to be paired with the villain deck.
In Archenemy: Nicol Bolas, one player takes on the role of the elder dragon Planeswalker, Nicol Bolas. The opposing team plays as Gideon Jura, Chandra Nalaar, and Nissa Revane. Each character has a 60-card deck, containing a non-premium planeswalker card, and Nicol Bolas has an additional deck of 20 all-new oversized scheme cards. Each deck utilizes colors previously shown to be linked to their respective characters; notably, Nissa uses both blue and green, while the entire Gatewatch team lacks any black.
The product also contains 10 double-sided tokens, 4 deck boxes, 1 life tracker, and 1 rules insert. The set is sold in English only. The complete set comes in one box, as opposed to the original Archenemy, which was sold in four different game packs. It was released at an MSRP of $59.99 USD.
This product is the so-called annex set of Amonkhet. The art of the packaging and within the scenes and themes from Amonkhet, and focuses on the confrontation between the Gatewatch and Bolas in the following set, Hour of Devastation. The basic lands that are used are unique to the set, featuring pairs of new art depicting Amonkhet before and after its destruction.
Rules change[edit | edit source]
When the archenemy attacks any player or planeswalker on the opposing team, any creature a teammate of the defending player controls may be assigned as a blocker by that creature's controller. This replaces the previous blocking rules, which followed normal multiplayer blocking conventions.
Theme decks[edit | edit source]
|Theme deck name||Colors included||Iconic card|
|Nicol Bolas||U||B||R||Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker|
|Gideon Jura||W||Gideon Jura|
|Chandra Nalaar||R||Chandra, Pyromaster|
|Nissa Revane||U||G||Nissa, Worldwaker|
Tokens[edit | edit source]
The 10 double-faced tokens are:
- 1 1/1 Soldier / 1/1 Spirit with Flying
- 1 1/1 Soldier / 3/3 Beast
- 3 1/1 Soldiers / 4/4 Beasts
- 5 2/2 Zombies / 3/3 Horrors
References[edit | edit source]
- Printed on the card frame.
- Wizards of the Coast. (June 16, 2017.) “Archenemy: Nicol Bolas Release Notes”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen. (2017-02-20.) “Modern Masters 2017 Edition and Amonkhet Packaging”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Nicholas Wolfram. (June 5, 2017.) “Archenemy: Nicol Bolas Preview”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast. (August 31, 2016.) “Announcement Day”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Product info
- Gavin Verhey. (December 6, 2017.) “Product Architecture: How a Product Is Made”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Archenemy: Nicol Bolas Unboxing