In the next few weeks, your wiki will be migrated to a Fandom.com domain. Learn more here.
An anchor word is a word that precedes a choice on a modal spell, to give the respective abilities a bit of flavor and signify the choice. Anchor words don't have a specific rule attached to them, but always tie the existence of a continuous effect to the choice.
History[edit | edit source]
List of anchor words[edit | edit source]
- "Khans" and "Dragons" ("Siege"-cycle)
- "Flavorful" and "Bland" (Ineffable Blessing)
- "Whack", "Doodle" and "Buzz" (Buzzing Whack-a-Doodle)
- "Mirran" and "Phyrexian" (Mirrodin Besieged)
- "Truth" and "Dare" (Truth or Dare)
Rules[edit | edit source]
- Anchor Word
- A word that precedes one of two abilities a permanent may enter the battlefield with. See rule 614.12b.
- 614.12b Some replacement effects cause a permanent to enter the battlefield with its controller’s choice of one of two abilities, each marked with an anchor word and preceded by a bullet point. “[Anchor word] — [ability]” means “As long as [anchor word] was chosen as this permanent entered the battlefield, this permanent has [ability].” The abilities preceded by anchor words are each linked to the ability that causes a player to choose between them. See rule 607, “Linked Abilities.”
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- The anchor word "Dragons" has no connection to the creature type Dragon.
- Will of the council options from Conspiracy, and Council's dilemma options from Conspiracy: Take the Crown are not anchor words, because they don't represent a modal choice. The voting is just voting for arbitrary words and referring to how many times certain votes were received.
References[edit | edit source]
- Ethan Fleischer (July 30, 2019). "Know Your Anchor Words.". Twitter.
- Mark Rosewater (January 12, 2015). "Fate-ful Stories, Part 1". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Tabak (January 15, 2015). "Fate Reforged Update Bulletin — Comprehensive Rule Changes". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Adam Styborski (November 14, 2017). "Welcome to Flavortown! (Or Not)". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (November 27, 2017). "Unstable Scraps, Part 1". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (January 14, 2015). "Fate Reforged Release Notes". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.