Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
50% 10% 40%
Mythical Salamanders[edit | edit source]
Mythical Salamanders are thought to be able to live in fire. This connection likely originates from the tendency of regular salamanders to dwell inside rotting logs. When placed into a fire, the salamander would attempt to escape from the log, lending to the belief that salamanders were created from flames.
The first red creature to reference this type of Salamander was Pyric Salamander in Mirage. While that one lives on Dominaria, others like Flowstone Salamander, Scalding Salamander and Cinder Crawler live on Rath. Each of these variants has some "fire-breathing" or direct damage ability.
Regular Salamanders[edit | edit source]
Regular salamanders or newts are amphibians like frogs. They are aquatic as a larva and semiterrestrial as an adult. They don't have scales like reptiles. The blue Gudul Lurker and the black Festering Newt come closest to this type of salamander.
Amphin[edit | edit source]
The amphin are a race of lanky, shrewd, partially aquatic humanoids on Shandalar who can dwell either in the briny depths or in the overgrown shallows. Little is known about their civilization as yet; time will tell whether we see more of this salamander-folk in the future. Much like Saprazzan Merfolk they are able to live on land. This type debuted with Amphin Cutthroat in Magic 2012, and was revisited with Amphin Pathmage in Magic 2015.
|“||The amphin have long built their society in secret. While surface dwellers squabbled over trivial borders, they patiently expanded, building their ammonite temple-caves. Now amphin priests eye the shore, and amphin hunters gird for war.||”|
— Gor Muldrak, Cryptohistories
Amphins were an attempt to come up with a race of creatures that could occupy the ”medium-sized nonflying blue creature” slot.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- At some point during the set's early design stage, flamekin of Lorwyn were referred to as "salamands" after the belief among medieval alchemists that salamanders were beings of elemental fire.
- The blue Wormfang Newt from Judgement is also a Beast and a Nightmare,
- A "newt" is also an organism grown from harvest flesh stored within the Phyrexian flesh vats.
- Newts are a common ingredient in witches' brews. This is exemplified by the combo of Festering Newt, Bubbling Cauldron and Bogbrew Witch from Magic 2014.
- In appearance, the Amphin are similar to the Surrakar.
References[edit | edit source]
- Salamanders as fire elementals.
- Doug Beyer (July 13, 2011). "M12 from the Inside, Part 1". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Amphin Cutthroat
- Doug Beyer (September 26, 2013). "Amphins. Are they doing anything?". A Voice for Vorthos. Tumblr.
- Terese Nielsen. (February 27, 2008.) Magic Lorwyn Art by Terese Nielsen... who???, Terese Nielsen - Fantasy Artist, Star Wars, MtG and Angel Art.