Almaaz was a powerful kingdom and the only surviving ‘nation’ on the continent of Terisiare on Dominaria that dated from before the The Brothers' War. After the Ice Age, it became one of the five main Terisian Isles. It is located east of Lat-Nam, south of Gulmany and west of Yavimaya and New Argive. It is bordered by the South Sea, the Sea of Almaaz in the north and the Sea of Laments in the east.
History[edit | edit source]
Prehistory[edit | edit source]
Almaaz before the War was both a nation and a culture that spread over the southwestern portion of Terisiare. Some say it was a place of rich culture and fine craftsmanship.
The Brothers' War[edit | edit source]
Almaazan songmages that lived in the capital city Sumifa offered their powers to the Fallaji Empire in the war to avoid the destruction of their nation. Ashnod was sent to Almaaz by Mishra to oversee iron and lumber harvesting afterwards, although civil war eventually broke out.
Advent of the Ice Age[edit | edit source]
After the Brothers' War, then the Time of the Erg Raiders came. Almaazan cities was attacked by dune raiders or thirst-crazed military tribes. During Ice Age, most of Almaaz was ruled by the Glacial Kingdom of ancient ice beings called the Rigida.
After the Ice Age[edit | edit source]
After the Ice Age, Almaaz was refounded. By that time, Terisiare was broken up into several islands.
The culture of the New Sumifans annexed the then abandoned city, and became its primary occupants. It is possible that the later Phyrexian Invasion and the events thereafter may have once more brought ruin to the area. The song-mage Thabit of Almaaz played an important role in the rebellion of Epityr against Sheoltun.
Known locations[edit | edit source]
- Fallajia, the Fallaji nation of the eastern deserts and plains. A tiny remnant of the ancient mighty Fallaji Empire.
- The Erg Desert in the western half of the island.
- The Kingdom of Wyrvill or Wyrvil orc Kingdom in the western erg.
- Sumifa, the capital. Near the ruins of the ancient city of the same name.
- The Borderlands
- A colony of Yavimaya on the eastern tip of the island. Connected to Yavimaya by a Magnigoth Mangal.
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Martha Wells (March 21, 2018). "Return to Dominaria, Episode 1". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Ethan Fleischer (April 20, 2018). "Dominarian Cartography". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Jeff Grubb (1998). Magic: The Gathering - The Brothers' War.
- Teri McLaren, Shadows of Time, the unpublished sequel of Song of Time. HarperPrism
- Not much is known about it, but the following blurb about dating systems reveals that Almaaz was around after 3000 A.R.: The third dating system is the centralized Common Era (CE). This dating system is used on Almaaz, the oldest surviving Terisian nation (having existed for over 4000 years west of Argive). Common Era’s 0 dating is around 3000 AR or so-making it a very modern calendar. Indeed, Common Era was established by the New Sumifans, the current culture reigning over Almaaz. Source: Teri McLaren (1996) Song of Time, Harper Prism
- Monty Ashley (October 21, 2010). "From the Library of Leng: Serra Angel". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- As Fallajian territories in the Song of Time novel.
- First named in the Song of Time novel
- As Erg in the Song of Time novel. Not to be confused with the Erg Mirab