|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
Aetherborn is a black-aligned creature type introduced in Kaladesh, used for cards that depict humanoid creatures made from aether. Some Aetherborn can draw life essence from other beings into themselves to prolong their own existence; these have the sub-type vampire.
Storyline[edit | edit source]
Aetherborn spontaneously came into being on Kaladesh as a byproduct of the aether refinement process. "Families" of Aetherborn lay territorial claim to areas where young Aetherborn have manifested and instruct them in the way of their kind. Their bodies are in constant flux, as the aether residue they're made of gradually dissolves and is reclaimed by the aethersphere. Thus, their lives are short. But rather than despair, they savor each fleeting moment, squeezing out every last drop of enjoyment. Traditionally, before an Aetherborn dies, they throw a party with mandatory attendance for their friends and associates. Aetherborn that lack such social connections usually hijack the party of another of their kind.
Aetherborn do not sleep or eat, instead focusing fully on experiencing existence. All Aetherborn have an innate sixth sense that allows them to accurately sense the emotional state of beings in a nearby perimeter.
Notable Aetherborn[edit | edit source]
- Gonti, a crime lord.
- Rajul, a great inventor.
- Yahenni, an investor, philanthropist, socialite and renegade.
References[edit | edit source]
- Magic Creative Team (November 2, 2016). "Planeswalker's Guide to Kaladesh". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Flavor text of Essence Extraction
- Yahenni, Undying Partisan and Gifted Aetherborn
- "Planes of Existence: Kaladesh" — Wizards of the Coast
- Alison Luhrs (September 21, 2016). "Born of Aether". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Creative Team (February 1, 2017). "Renewal". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Plane Shift - Kaladesh