In the next few weeks, your wiki will be migrated to a Fandom.com domain. Learn more here.
Description[edit | edit source]
Aethermages are usually white and blue mages who use aether magic, which tends to be involved with unsummoning creatures. On Theros, the aether is of particular interest to Meletian scholars. Some of them believe that the aether is the realm of abstract entities, such as numbers, concepts, and theories.
Aether is also a main component of etherium. Additionally it is found on Iquatana, where it makes up most of the plane's atmosphere, and on Kaladesh, where Aether shapes the natural world into swirling patterns and is harvested and refined in order to fuel the various constructs and inventions of its artificers. Aetherborn are created from this process. The wildlife of Kaladesh is affected too, attracted by the magnetic pull of aether. Flocks of birds migrate with it, schools of fish swarm around it, wild beasts battle over the richest deposits, and gremlins consume condensed, nonreactive aether geodes. Creatures such as skywhales, drakes, and high-flying birds have evolved to live in the volatile, energy-rich aethersphere itself, spending their lives basking in its radiance and amassing its magical power.
Notes[edit | edit source]
Although Wizards of the Coast used the ligature Æ — the A and E combined into one letter — since the beginning of the game, this was changed for Kaladesh and Aether Revolt, which featured the stuff heavily. According to Blake Rasmussen, it caused way more issues than it was worth (particularly in translation). The change is retroactive.
Aether is pronounced “EE-ther,” with a long e and an unvoiced “th” sound (like the one in “lethal,” not the voiced sound in “whether”).
In-game references[edit | edit source]
Some associated cards:
- Anchor to the Aether
- Aether Adept
- Aetherflame Wall
- Aether Flash
- Aether Gale
- Aether Gust
- Aether Membrane
- Aether Rift
- Aether Storm
- Aether Tunnel
- Aether Vial
- Aether Web
- Azorius Aethermage
- Crucible of Worlds
- Gate to the Aether
- Ghirapur Aether Grid
- Obscuring Aether
- Tainted Aether
- Yet Another Aether Vortex
References[edit | edit source]
- Magic Creative Team (February 1, 2017). "Renewal". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Brady Dommermuth (August 16, 2007). "You Are a Planeswalker". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Brady Dommermuth (April 14, 2004). "What is the Æther?". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Brady Dommermuth (January 3, 2007). "What exactly is "Æther" (and what is its correct pronunciation)?". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (December 04, 2006). "Drakes vs. the Aether". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mike McArtor (March 25, 2015). "In Æther Words…". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- A Planeswalker's Guide to Alara
- Doug Beyer (September 02, 2009). "The Planes of Planechase". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Creative Team (November 2, 2016). "Planeswalker's Guide to Kaladesh". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Story Podcast: The Mending (May 3, 2018)
- Blake Rasmussen (May 16, 2016). "The May 16, 2016 Update". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (May 16, 2016). "I notice it's the Aether Revolt, rather than the Æther Revolt.". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Wizards of the Coast (January 1, 2007). "Ask Wizards - January, 2007". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.