|Introduced||Throne of Eldraine|
|Last Used||Throne of Eldraine|
|Typical Text||Adamant — If at least three [color] mana was spent to cast this spell,...|
Description[edit | edit source]
Examples[edit | edit source]
Slaying Fire deal 3 damage to any target.
Adamant — If at least three red mana was spent to cast this spell, it deals 4 damage instead.
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- If an instant or sorcery spell has an adamant ability, you perform the spell's instructions in order. You don't perform the adamant instruction before the spell resolves or before any other effects printed above it.
- If an effect allows you to cast a spell without paying its mana cost, you can't choose to cast it and pay unless another rule or effect allows you to cast that spell for a cost. Similarly, you can't waive a cost reduction unless that effect says you may.
- Adamant effects check what mana was actually spent to cast a spell. If an effect allows you to spend mana "as though it were mana" of any color or type, that allows you to spend mana you couldn't otherwise spend, but it doesn't change what mana you spent to cast the spell.
- If you copy a spell that has an adamant ability, no mana was spent to cast the copy at all, so that ability won't apply.
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater (September 16, 2019). "Singing in the Eldraine". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Tabak (September 4, 2019). "Throne of Eldraine Mechanics". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (September 20, 2019). "Throne of Eldraine Release Notes". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.