2018 World Magic Cup
|Date||14–16 December 2018|
|Format||Team Sealed and Team Unified Standard|
| Previous World Magic Cup:
| Next World Magic Cup: |
The 2018 World Magic Cup, the seventh World Magic Cup, will be held on 14–16 December 2018 in Barcelona, Spain.
The event will feature a World Magic Cup debutant, with Honduras participating in the event for the first time.
Format and schedule[edit | edit source]
The 2018 World Magic Cup will feature two formats: Team Sealed and Team Unified Standard. Team Sealed is a variation of Sealed deck where the team shares a pool of twelve Booster packs, which is used to build three 40-card decks. For the Team Unified Constructed portion, like in 2017, Standard will be the featured format. Team Unified Constructed means that with the exception of basic lands, there may not be any copies of the same card in two different decks. For example, only one player on a team may use Field of Ruin, regardless of how many copies of the card that player has in their deck.
Day 1 - Friday, 14th of December
- Three rounds of Team Sealed
- Up to four rounds of Team Unified Standard
Day 1 features at most seven rounds of Swiss play; all teams that win their fourth match receive byes every round for the rest of the day.
The top 32 teams at the end of the day advance to Day 2 of competition. This essentially means that all teams that pick up their fourth win prior to round 7 advance, plus a few teams with 4–3 records.
Day 2 - Saturday, 15th of December
- Phase 1 - up to three rounds of Team Unified Standard
- Phase 2 - up to three rounds of Team Unified Standard
On Day 2, teams are divided into eight groups of four teams each (Phase 1). The four teams in each group playe up to three rounds of double elimination; the top two teams in each group advance to Phase 2. For Phase 2, the sixteen remaining teams are again divided into groups of four, and they play up to three rounds of double elimination. The top two teams in each group proceed to Day 3 of competition.
As with the 2017 World Magic Cup, draws are not allowed on Day 2. Each round last 60 minutes, and if time is called and there is no conclusion to the match after extra turns, the match is decided with the following tiebreakers:
- The deciding match is determined by game count at the end of extra turns.
- If the deciding match's game count is tied, the player with the highest life total wins the match.
- If the team match count, game count, and life totals are tied at the end of extra turns, the first change in life total results in the player whose life total is higher after said change winning the match.
- If the game count becomes tied in extra turns, and a third game needs to be played, the match is decided by the first change in life total, with the player whose life total is higher after said change winning the match.
Day 3 - Sunday, 16th of December
- Quarterfinals, semifinals and final, featuring Team Unified Standard
The top eight teams then compete in a seeded (based on total number of points from Day 1 and Day 2), single-elimination bracket.
References[edit | edit source]
- Rosenberg, Mike (2018-03-15). 2018 NATIONALS DETAILS. Wizards of the Coast. Retrieved on 2018-04-09.